Subject: Help needed to setup a 5-persons' session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yannis
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
For the more experienced of you (I've played the game 2 times only).

I want to setup a session for me+4 friends. 3 have played once but it was a bit of a mess (didn't know which quest/arcs to start with). The group plays relatively slowly. That's going to be an one-time event (3 hours max), so it should be self-contained experience. I want to showcase the game at it's best, so that I can hook them up for more frequent plays.

I am ok with the rules, I have a full Captain's pledge and I have printed the 1.2 hero cards. What I don't have is a feeling about is the balance and the flow of the game, so I am afraid I'll make it too difficult/easy/long. I would appreciate specific suggestions on heroes/equipment/quest/tiles/darkness deck and monster groups.

Too much to ask maybe, but I thought I give it a shot.

Cheers for any and all the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could run part of one of the Story Quests in the rulebook. "The Mad King" or "Common People" work pretty well and have varied experiences - especially Act 2 of Mad King and Act 1 of Common People
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have in the past, preloaded the game to save set up. depends how long a game you want... I have had a single tile take me 40 minutes to finish off.

depends what you want

For my groups/beginners I have either done

Quest style adventure
1)build maps with tiles and purpose.

Say you are 'going camping' Objective get to the bonfire tile. From the tavern tile. add 1-3 more tiles in between (too many, too long and depends on what loitering penalty you wish to apply for large mainly empty tiles). I typically then decide which tiles will have traps and why and which (eg maybe the grubbers set off the boulders in one of the 4x6 tiles making you rush headlong into an ambush)- so I am familiar with the trap rules I typically let the first few encounters be hunting packs only... and then toss in a Lair, I usually have a miniboss of captain heavy end tile to surmount...

Basically I figure out 'everything' I make the first encounters relatively easy(6-8 in a hunting pack, or 1 captain and 4 minions, enough to generate some treasure)/ no traps no lairs on the first tile and then steadily ramp it up. This allows for me to help the players with cardplay and cycling and run the AI, rather than worrying about quest setup trap conditions etc...

Solidify gameplay ruleset
2) I do one of the Marcus the ready slaughterfield style quests when I want the others to focus on learning the gameplay/cardplay and the hero darkness cycling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannis
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you both for your replies. They are helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
B Wumpus wrote:
I have in the past, preloaded the game to save set up. depends how long a game you want... I have had a single tile take me 40 minutes to finish off.

depends what you want

I agree with this a lot. If you are wanting them to experience what the game CAN be like, don't feel like you have to start them from scratch. Hand out a few green items amongst everybody to start with, if you think they will enjoy it more that way. Remember, based on what you are saying...you are trying to sell your friends on this game, so try to ensure they have a good experience, while also getting a sense of the basics.

If they are slow players, don't pick a scenario that's got tons of tiles in it. If you have to...make up your own scenario. The last time I played with a couple new people, we spent almost 3 hours on the first 12x12 tile. We have lots of analyzing and table talk, so our games tend to get drawn out. By the end of that first tile, while it was fun...we were exhausted and ready to be done. Finding a way to progress through tiles quickly would lend itself more towards an overall more enjoyable experience for my group. Perhaps that means smaller challenges leading up to the finale of a quest? I know a lot of people get excited about hitting a 12x12 tile and jam-packing it with lairs and enemies...but if my group does that, we will likely be ready to be done after that.

Just make sure you pace yourself if you want to get through multiple tiles...don't burn all your gas on the first one like we did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have them play Slaughterfield. It will let them learn all of the mechanics, allows them to easily upgrade their gear (plus gives them access to some of the really good stuff), and while it starts out pretty simple, it will introduce them to the tougher captains and bosses pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is that you just know the quests that you will play,....

Even some of the simpler ones have questions,...

I would even lean towards making your own mini-story of 3 to 4 tiles. I have found that something like this that leads to an encounter with Yardu is a great way to get people into things.

Have them do a simple tile with just a roaming pack or one lair (and maybe a treasure hoard!),... then a 6x6 trapped tile,... they get to experience the trap, earn some serendipity, and some extra cash,..... and meet a vendor!

with the extra loot from the first two tiles, they can buy something cool,.... then face off with Yardu in a final 12x12 (there are a couple of quests that do this,... to varying degrees of difficulty).

You can choose what you want ahead of time so that you are sure to maximize their fun,..... make sure you have a vendor that has cool stuff (some blue gear perhaps) that the heroes can actually afford (thus the treasure hoard on one of the first tiles).

my 2c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.