Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello There,

I received Memoir 44 for my birthday yesterday and I also received some cash that I would love to put towards some expansions. I've been through all of the threads and I think I have come up with my ideal combo of expansions but would like some people to look over my choices before I pull the trigger. These are likely to be the only expansions I get for quite some time so would like to make sure I do this right.

Here is the list

Eastern Theatre
Mediterranean Theatre
Pacific Theatre
Overlord Pack
Winter/Desert Board

The other option would be to simply pick up another base game and either two other expansions or two of one expansion to run overlord scenarios with. What do you folks suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
I know the MT is the least (if any) talked about expansion but I wonder why. Does it not bring enough interesting stuff to the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest adding on the PDF of the Campaign book, available from the DOW website, the scenarios in there are great and will keep you going for ages. The others are all great buys (you can't really go wrong tbh). I would prioritise Pacific above Med though, 'cos the Japanese are a blast to play.

Personally I'm not sure of the value of the Overlord Pack, unless you are sure you are going to be playing Overlord regularly. You're basically paying twenty quid for a deck of cards, which is nice but not essential. If you buy the other things on your list you'll have enough minis and boards to play the scenarios (as long as you don't mind mixing the nations together), the rules are free to download, and you could buy a second standard Command deck to use from DoW instead of the proper Overlord deck.

I can't remember off the top of my head but I think some of the scenarios in later expansions might use tiles from the Terrain Pack, so, even though it's super-boring compared to the others, you might want that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Savin
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me good start is winter/desert map, Russian, Mediterranean theatre, terrain pack, and Air pack if you find on eBay or PDF from Dow site and some minis for airplanes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just found out that overlord doesn't come with a map either so that's going to go out I think. I may well grab that campaign book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
I would suggest adding on the PDF of the Campaign book, available from the DOW website, the scenarios in there are great and will keep you going for ages. The others are all great buys (you can't really go wrong tbh). I would prioritise Pacific above Med though, 'cos the Japanese are a blast to play.

Personally I'm not sure of the value of the Overlord Pack, unless you are sure you are going to be playing Overlord regularly. You're basically paying twenty quid for a deck of cards, which is nice but not essential. If you buy the other things on your list you'll have enough minis and boards to play the scenarios (as long as you don't mind mixing the nations together), the rules are free to download, and you could buy a second standard Command deck to use from DoW instead of the proper Overlord deck.

I can't remember off the top of my head but I think some of the scenarios in later expansions might use tiles from the Terrain Pack, so, even though it's super-boring compared to the others, you might want that too.

So would you say Pacific, Eastern, Winter/Desert board, Terrain Pack and Campaign Book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add the Breakthrough board, personally, for gargantuan battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:

But wont I then need Winter Wars for the Breakthrough deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you could get by with just the original deck, in fairness, as there aren't THAT many game rounds. I've got Winter Wars, and prefer it to, say, Meditteranean, if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Savin
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will just say perfectly fine! Forget about big campaign like overlord or breakthrough...save it for later when you master game! And consider Air pack, it will give you full range ww2 experience
On my humble experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warerare wrote:
Interociter wrote:

So would you say Pacific, Eastern, Winter/Desert board, Terrain Pack and Campaign Book?

Sounds like a sensible stage one plan to me.

Stage Two: Everything else that's currently in print.

Stage three: Everything that's OP.

Stage Four: Second copies of everything.

Stage Five: Penury, disgrace, homelessness, death.

But what a ride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me crazy, but I would not go without the terrain pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would look at getting the following:

1) Terrain Pack – I know it doesn’t sound like much, but it is needed for several scenarios later. The expansion only adds four scenarios in print, but an additional 19 official scenarios are available via the web and the Vercors Campaign which includes five more scenarios. Well worth it.

2) Eastern Front – eight scenarios with an additional 14 official scenarios from the web site and Audie Murphy’s Campaign that has 7 more.

3) PDF of the Campaign Book - Adds 52 Scenarios that use the base game, Terrain Pack and Eastern Front… plus… you can plan campaigns, which are quite fun.

4) Winter Desert Board to make things look nice, but it is not necessary.

5) Pacific Theater – games feel different because of the new rules based on the historical battles. The Pacific Theater was fought differently, and this expansion feels different from the others.

Stage Two, if you like those.
Breakthrough board + Winter Wars + Campaign Book Two.

Scenario links found here: Memoir '44 expansions and scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I love Overlord first and Breakthrough second, the practical choice from your list is either Pacific or Eastern Front. Between the two, it should come down to personal preference between the two theaters of war. Personally, I love the Pacific Theater. However, I know through experiences in wargaming that there is a lot of interest in the Eastern Front.

The Terrain Pack has also been mentioned by others. I, as well, would recommend that you will need it and it should be included in your list as #1.

Note that as for the majority of us, you, too, will end up buying most (or all) of the Memoir '44 offerings.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players do you think you'll have? If only 2, Overlord probably isn't the best idea--it works, but you lose the interaction of playing as a team. You might consider Breakthrough and Winter Wars (for the Breakthrough cards) if you want a bigger game with only 2 players.

You can't go wrong with the Theater Packs. Pick the front(s) you like the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eldon
United Kingdom
Verwood
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
The profile picture is of the first cruise ship I worked on called the TSS Canberra. I ended up spending 10 years working on this ship. The plane in the photo is a British "Canberra" bomber taken from the Rock of Gibraltar
mbmbmbmbmb
yes you will definitely need the terrain pack, as most of the other expansions require some tiles from the terrain pack.

My favourite expansion is the eastern front with the winter wars added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
eldonion wrote:
yes you will definitely need the terrain pack, as most of the other expansions require some tiles from the terrain pack.

My favourite expansion is the eastern front with the winter wars added

My favorites are:

Eastern Front
Winter Wars (terrain pack for winter)
Breakthrough
Winter/desert board (purely cosmetic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got more than enough replies, so here's one more...

I like your original list.

Leave out Overlord for now. Look at Breakthrough and Overlord and see which one suits you better (wider board for more players, or deeper board for longer games). Whichever one you prefer can be a later purchase.

Leave out the campaign books for now. They are great, but each purchase comes with several new campaigns so you'll have plenty to try before you start to run dry.

Think about the terrain pack, although I seem to have a lot of hexes that get rarely used.

If you're the kind of twisted individual for whom setting up the board is half the fun (and if so, Memoir is the game for you) then you'll love finding a little half-track mini or a massive tiger tank to roam across the board. For that, you need the equipment pack.

Every time I read a thread like this, I'm reminded of an expansion or two that I still NEED to add. The above advice to just buy everything is wallet unfriendly but just bowing to the inevitable!

Mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure I should at least give the base game a go before I commit to expansions so we are giving it a good go tonight. In my basket I have Eastern, Pacific, Terrain, winter/desert board and I will pop to Days of wonder site for the campaign book. I look forward to many years of fun with this :-)

As for the Air Pack, I can't see it anywhere at a reasonable cost, I will have to forgo it for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airpack is available as a pdf from Days of Wonder for free (I think). You won't have the cards necessarily but you get the rules to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warerare wrote:
As for the Air Pack, I can't see it anywhere at a reasonable cost, I will have to forgo it for now.

It is not needed, I havn't even opened my copy. Never used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Heckmac wrote:
Airpack is available as a pdf from Days of Wonder for free (I think). You won't have the cards necessarily but you get the rules to use.

$10 USD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy Wings of War WWII plane figures or other similar, or use something else to represent planes, and that will suffice.

Air Pack is fun to play once and a while.

Edit: and at least two Air Sortie cards will be required though some of us like to play with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warerare wrote:
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:

But wont I then need Winter Wars for the Breakthrough deck?

If you are buying the winter board and the Eastern Battle pack then Winter wars offers some rally good scenarios, you will have loads of winter terrain and you get the Break through deck as a bonus. Rather than Overlord I would then go down the breakthrough route. You will, of course, need to buy the BT boards.

I would certainly take up the earlier suggestion of buying the campaign book pdf because there are a lot of great scenarios to be played even if you do not bother with the campaigns.

Good luck with your choices.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olden
Wales
Cardiff
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to hold off on the expansions for a little bit until I got a few more plays out of the base game, I loved my first play of it but it became immediately apparent that there is a hell of a lot of play in the base game alone. I kept my money in a Memoir tin to dip into as the expansions became needed to extend my plays.

Well anyway today disaster struck, I was taking the base game into work for a lunch time play after owning the game for only one week and my smoothie bottle exploded in my bag and all over the game. It managed to work its way up into the box and over the board and some of the other components. I am devastated, this is the first incident I have had like this and it has not left me in a very good mood. I am really hoping I can salvage the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.