18OE: On the Rails of the Orient Express» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 player scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Global Nomad
Portugal
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the itch again for 18xx, and just purchased this fantastic game (and also 1860) shake

After browsing the rulebook and playbook, then I understand 2 players can run the full game (5.4 on playbook) playing without concessions. But what about shorter scenarios ? I can not see a reference how to play any of these with two players. Given then I never played 18xx before I am obviously missing something.

Would appreciate any advice on how to start learning the game, and tips for 2 players.

Also wander what is the experience of PBEM not this game, understand there is no vassal, but cyberboard. This probably will be a good way to play the game in the future with more than 2 players.

thanks
Mario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of my memory: I'm not sure if the big game would work with two. In fact, I can't imagine it ...

But there are a couple of scenarios, using portions of the map, that are very well suited for 2 and 3 players. Look in the playbook - the short scenarios are for 2 & 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the short scenarios should work well with 2 players. I'd recommend starting with one of those to learn the system. Each gives a different feel and experience in playing different parts of the map.

You could probably manage to play a medium scenario with 2, although I'd prefer 3 or 4 for that. As has been said, I can't imagine playing the full game with 2 -- you'd be running 15+ companies each during the early game when there are 30 companies active. We played a full game with 3 and that was even a lot to manage. I prefer 4+ for the full game, but would play it with 3 again.

PBEM works well through cyberboard and a shared spreadsheet. Have fun!

Darin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mpires wrote:
Also wander what is the experience of PBEM not this game, understand there is no vassal, but cyberboard. This probably will be a good way to play the game in the future with more than 2 players.

Like most all 18xx, 18OE is supported by ps18xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is great with 2, but only with the short scenarios (of course, I don't think the full game is worth it with any player count, but that's me).

Austria-Russia is a great scenario to get started with. When you've played it a few times, I've added in a couple of more advanced scenarios in the BGG variants section. Prussia-Italy is great and UK-Scandinavia was specifically designed for 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Portugal
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I think the game is great with 2, but only with the short scenarios (of course, I don't think the full game is worth it with any player count, but that's me).

Austria-Russia is a great scenario to get started with. When you've played it a few times, I've added in a couple of more advanced scenarios in the BGG variants section. Prussia-Italy is great and UK-Scandinavia was specifically designed for 2.

thanks. Will try Austria-Russia first

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpires wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:

Do you already have someone to play against?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Portugal
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
mpires wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:

Do you already have someone to play against?

geek mail sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the full game with 2 on CyberBoard to (a) get the feel of the game for when we eventually did more than 2 (b) to test out the spreadsheet for running the game (c) for the hell of it. Game lasted to OR6a when we broke the bank and quit - did not actually play it out because the final result was obvious - I ran 8 companies, competitor ran 10 companies. The score was $50,297 to $48,512 when we finished. Highest stock price was $440, lowest $80, seven companies went national. Lots of 4D and 5D's were bought. Biggest dividend was $2290 (Swift 2+, 6+ and 4D plus D and L minors)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can do the full game with 2 players. You just need starting money, and cert limit and off you go. The cert limit is 72, and I retrieved that from elsewhere on this site. All the information is here, I apologize for not remembering the starting money.

As others have stated, the small scenarios are excellent for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.