Container» Forums » General

Subject: Just got the the, box and board looks weird rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

I just got the game, and the ships are awesome! But the board and the box really feel like they were home made.

Is it just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea a lot of the materials aren't up to really nice standards. The colour choices are puzzling.

But the game is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Box feels home made?? Box is at the same quality level as most other game boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
gerwalker wrote:
Box feels home made?? Box is at the same quality level as most other game boxes.

I've seen about 100 different game boxes. The print quality on this one is by far the worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
I just got the game, and the ships are awesome! But the board and the box really feel like they were home made.

They don't have a glossy coating on them... but they're solidly made and won't peel. So, not really homemade-feeling, no.

Unless you're talking about "homemade" of Deep Thought Games quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless of course you got a home made PnP copy from someone who'd upgraded their ships and containers ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
gerwalker wrote:

I've seen about 100 different game boxes. The print quality on this one is by far the worst.

I can understand your subjective view on the game boards, but I can't quite get the view on the box. It's pretty durable and not flimsy at all, and the printing is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
gerwalker wrote:

I've seen about 100 different game boxes.

100 boxes! Sorry, didn't realize you are still a newbie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
gerwalker wrote:
Badigel wrote:
gerwalker wrote:

I've seen about 100 different game boxes.

100 boxes! Sorry, didn't realize you are still a newbie.

Maybe, but it's still more than enough to judge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how this box is any worse or better than any of the others I own. It's not the bulletproof Sunrise City, but that has 6 pounds of cardboard in it. It makes me wonder if someone is DIYing and selling these things, now that they're getting hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
I don't see how this box is any worse or better than any of the others I own. It's not the bulletproof Sunrise City, but that has 6 pounds of cardboard in it. It makes me wonder if someone is DIYing and selling these things, now that they're getting hard to find.

I was wondering the same. Perhaps Lior can post photos of the box and player boards? Does the box actually say "Valley Games"?

E.g. I owned (very recently traded away) VG's game Crows and it had a seriously sturdy well-made box, much stronger and thicker then most game boxes. I've not played Container in a long time, but my memory of it is that the box and player boards seemed at least average quality. Similarly about VG's edition of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, which a friend brought repeatedly to my house with no box problems, and its board was well-made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
I can post some pictures comes money.

The box says Valley games and it is quite sturdy, but the print is quite below average. (The pieces are of good quality and the ships are amazing, never seen this material used in board games, the cards are also fine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
The box says Valley games and it is quite sturdy, but the print is quite below average.

So is this possibly just a subjective thing that you don't like their sort of matte finish, and you prefer a more glossy finish typical of many boardgame boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
Badigel wrote:
The box says Valley games and it is quite sturdy, but the print is quite below average.

So is this possibly just a subjective thing that you don't like their sort of matte finish, and you prefer a more glossy finish typical of many boardgame boxes?

I actually like matte finish better, I think. For example Eldritch Horror has matte finish box, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
I actually like matte finish better, I think. For example Eldritch Horror has matte finish box, right?

I don't know, I've never seen EH's box in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Here are some pictures:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, looks good to me. I'd say this is a question of taste and a conscious design decision; I certainly didn't find anything wrong with the Container box, it has some rugged charm to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Alrighty then...so you like the boats, hate the (perfectly sturdy and premium Matte finish) box...so what about that one thing that actually matters...have you played this gem yet? What do ya think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Badigel wrote:
Here are some pictures:

And what's the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Container is, for me, one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I own. I love the matte finish, the muted tones, the awesome ships. The only suboptimal thing is the 'white' ship that is actually rather close in color to the teal one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.