Ian Tuten
United States
Montgomery Village
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning!

I've been waffling back and forth between the AH and MMP versions of Beyond Valor. Here's my predicament... for about the same price (by eBay standards), I could get either the MMP reprint (v3) of BV, OR I could get the old AH version of BV plus at least another module or two. Which would be the smarter route to go? I'm not worried about the extra scenarios, since there are SO many out there to play, and I'm not worried about the maps because I can just get replacements from MMP if they bother me that much.

Besides the maps and the scenarios, is there a huge difference between the AH and BV versions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the new counters are much nicer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the edition with Red Barricades if it's available. Otherwise, I suggest you buy the MMP.

Edit: I was confused. MMP published the 2nd edition w/ Red Barricades. I would suggest getting 3rd edition for the nicer counters and maps that will match any future products you add to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Boerman

Maynard
Massachusetts
msg tools
"Stick with me folks...I got all the answers."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same predicament. It also seems that the AH version has 12 counter sheets and the MMP version 14? What counters would I be missing if thats the case? I am not sure if MMP is going to come out with BV anytime soon, but on the other hand, I can just chug along with SK#1-3 and Elst til it does? And of course, then comes YANKS, etc...I am tempted to jump on the AH version because I have the 1-4 boards from my SL game and then buy boards 5 and 8 but the counter thing is nagging me and the quality of the counters will stick in my head forever.
MMP makes it so hard for me to throw money at them...= )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm an advocate of purchasing the MMP editions. The components are superior, counter errata have been corrected, and the look and feel of the boards will be consistent with newer boards in the system. Plus, you'll support the company currently producing the game. On the other hand, you probably could get a first edition for pretty cheap actually.

See this: http://ec-are-moderate.blogspot.com/2009/08/counter-madness....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all the posters on the MMP for all the same reasons. I finally took the plunge and replaced my BV 1st Ed with 3rd Ed when Hakkaa Päälle was announced, in small part because I wanted my Finnish counters to match up, but primarily for the deal in the polished counters, errata clean up, the new style boards, and as already stated it supports MMP.

It really is a good value. Regardless it did stir a tear in my eye since I had my 1st Ed since it was released in '85.

Although 3rd Ed also is out of stock (print?) now . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BV 3rd Edition has counters that originally came with Yanks - FB/DB/various-night-counters.

I'm not sure those counters will be included in the 2nd Edition of Yanks though - another reason for getting the 3rd Edition.

But before buying it off eBay, I'd drop MMP a mail asking when the 3rd Edition might be back in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tuten
United States
Montgomery Village
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I suppose I'll just be patient. The counter article swayed me - I didn't realize the quality control was so bad. PLUS, I didn't know Yanks content was included! So I guess not the American OOB, but just the extra markers.

Also, Luke, I didn't know that the EC Are Moderate blog was yours! Small world.

I did email MMP, and they had no definite date for a reprint. They pointed me toward a couple stateside shops (Gamer's Armory and CoolStuffInc) to see if they had any backstock in the warehouse, but neither do. So... looks like I'll be keeping a hawk-eye on eBay for the 3rd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the counters, it was not only quality control, but the type size is a wee bit larger for the MMP counters, an aid to we grognards of age 40+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Yanks content in v3 BV includes the US-colored FBs, the night-related info counters, etc. - not US vehicles/troops.

As pointed out above, the Finns in v1 will be the wrong color, BUT all of the needed squad/half-squad types are in HP, so it's not essential. The problem I had with my v1 edition that led me to upgrade to v3 was the colors - all new / errata counters are a darker shade of light blue, not the pale blue in the AH v1 edition. I can also attest to the off-size counters in v1, but there aren't that many to be honest.

I think you'd be happiest with a v3 edition, but if money is tight, you CAN play just fine with the v1 edition (assuming you get the necessary info counters for night, etc. from a copy of Yanks).

-N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both BV v1 and v3 and apart from a few corrected counters and some squads for large scenarios v3 is largely unpunched. I think this is a severe case of need vs nice! v3 is nice to have, but certainly not needed for hours upon hours of ASL goodness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not worried about the maps and scenarios, the AH version will be ok. I have the original '85 version as well as the v3 MMP version, and I definitely prefer the counters in the MMP version. I also wanted the SK style maps, but these can be purchased separately, as you note.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No definite date, but BV3 will be back in print this year barring some catastrophe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
perrycocke wrote:
No definite date, but BV3 will be back in print this year barring some catastrophe.

And there was much rejoicing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roundhill wrote:
perrycocke wrote:

And there was much rejoicing!

Followed by much drunken revelry !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
banshy1 wrote:
I finally took the plunge and replaced my BV 1st Ed with 3rd Ed when Hakkaa Päälle was announced, in small part because I wanted my Finnish counters to match up
HP has the entire Finnish OB, including the counters that were in BV - so no need to get BV3 to have the counters match (I also have the original BV1 blue Finns - they will go to my personal Smithsonian museum).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally there is very little actual errata on ASL counters. I do however seem to remember that the German RCLs in BV1 were missing the white circle of a T gun and the 1/2" smoke counters had black text rather than green. There might have been a few more errors as well, but we are talking about a few counters out of thousands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Garcia Silva
Chile
Santiago
Metropolitan Region
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qpzil wrote:
I could get either the MMP reprint (v3) of BV, OR I could get the old AH version of BV plus at least another module or two.

As a standalone V3 is much nicer than V1. One of my endearing memories is the first time I plucked V3 for a ftf game. It looked so much nicer! And I was not aware of the sharp difference beforehand.

So it might boil down to what "at least another module or two" do you refer to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Central Texas ASL site has a PDF file of counter errata. Go here and search for ASL Counter Errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.