Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Heber
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
I have this version of Risk:

I have five questions that came up that I may have missed in the rule book (even though I scanned through it many times during play) and would appreciate any insights from long-time Risk players. (I've only played twice.) The game variant in question was basic Global Domination and these questions stem from a recent 6 player game.

1) The territory cards have the names of all the territories on them. Are the names used for anything? During the last (and only my second) game of Risk, one member insisted there was some kind of bonus if you occupied the named territory on a territory card. It sounded like a house rule to me, and I couldn't find anything about that in the book, but I also couldn't find anything stating that the names of the territories meant anything at all in the first place. Are they just there for fun?

2) What happens when the draw stack for territory cards runs out? We had been discarding matched sets into a discard pile and eventually depleted the draw deck. So we re-shuffled and continued to draw. Is that correct or are the territory cards meant to stay used for the rest of the game?

3) We had so many cases of matching sets of territory cards that we eventually ran the golden calvary up to the "60" position which is the last on the board. Once a player turns in a match and gets the 60 bonus reinforcements, does the token move back to 4, move up by 5 to 65, or does it mean that territory cards are now useless?

4) What happens when a player runs out of tokens? My wife had taken over all of North and South America and was expanding into Asia when she ran out of tokens. By this point it was getting reasonably obvious she was likely to win and we had been playing for almost 4 hours, so we decided to call it - however, is a player allowed to go beyond the number of plastic tokens they have or are they capped at that point?

5) Is it possible to abandon territories? In my wife's case, she could have kept moving and had more tokens available if she could abandon many of the inner territories that were firmly in her control within the north and south American continents, but somehow we got the impression that you shouldn't do that. Perhaps that was a false assumption. That tactic would certainly have changed the dynamics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bradshaw
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Some people play with a house rule that if you turn in a set of cards and you own a territory shown, you get 2 extra guys there. Some people say that if you own a territory card, you get +1 to your high die if you attack that territory.

2. Reshuffle.

3. Stays at 60 i'd guess. I never let a game get that high though...geez. You guys played a long game.

4. You usually shouldn't run out, unless you are leaving a ton of guys in the interior of your empire (use free move to avoid this), or you aren't attacking enough. Maybe in a 2 player game this might happen. The old rule set I used to play allowed for using another color if you ran out. Or you can just cap the number of armies at the tokens provided, that's what we do.

5. No. You cannot abandon territory, You must have at least one guy there at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Some old versions of the rules gave extra armies if you controlled the territory, and had an optional rule to give you an advantage when attacking:

Rules (1980) p.5 wrote:

If any of the 3 cards you trade in shows the picture of a territory you occupy, you receive two extra armies. But you must place both those armies onto that particular territory.
However: On a single turn, you may receive no more than 2 extra armies. This is true no matter how many matched sets of cards you trade in on that one turn.

Rules (1980) p.9 wrote:

Advantage when attacking. If, when attacking, you have a Risk card that shows either the territory you're attacking from or the territory you're attacking, you may--if you wish--re-roll any one die on each battle involving that territory. To do so, place the card face up in front of you and roll the die again.
a) You may use more than one card on a turn, but only one card per battle.
b) Once you stop attacking the territory in question, put the Risk card back into your hand.
c) You may not use a Risk card in this manner when defending a territory.

I have no idea if these rules appear in the current version of the rulebook.

3) According to the 1980 rules it continues to increase by 5 each turn indefinitely. I doubt this rule has changed, although people play with house rules having it remain at the top of the chart or even drop back to 4. (This last seems very odd to me.)

4) Come up with extra markers (there's probably an eliminated color around you can use). But the game should have really ended by now. If you choose to use a house rule like Joseph suggests (nothing wrong with that), just keep in mind that you'll have to count pieces at the beginning of each game and make sure everybody has the same number.

Where I don't contradict him, I agree with Joseph's responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Heber
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just some clarifications that might be obvious but the rules might also be different.

The territory cards are used to divide the territories randomly among the players in the beginning of the game.

Ten playing pieces that each represents one unit may be replaced by a playing piece that represent ten units and vice versa.

P.S. I suggest trying the mission mode (default mode in my version) that makes it a more enjoyable game in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcMagus wrote:
4) Come up with extra markers (there's probably an eliminated color around you can use). But the game should have really ended by now. If you choose to use a house rule like Joseph suggests (nothing wrong with that), just keep in mind that you'll have to count pieces at the beginning of each game and make sure everybody has the same number.

I don't think it's as unusual as you might think. If you're playing World Domination Risk, it's fairly common to run out of the singles. We have it happen about every other game or so. Though I don't have them available, I'm pretty sure the rules of my version explicitly state that you are allowed to use another (eliminated) color's armies in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 12 of the 1999 Risk Edition rules:

Quote:
Reinforcements

If you run out of "reinforcements" in your original army color, you may fortify your position using Infantry of a coordinating color not already being used in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.