Popular Tags: [View All]
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just moved back to U.S. and trying to wrap my head around shipping.

1) General Question: I had thought that UPS or Fedex would almost always be cheaper than USPS but when I check on line that doesn't seem to be the case. USPS price often competitive. Am I missing something?

2) Specific Question: I want to ship a Power Grid. Won't fit in the medium flat rate so a large to the area code I want would be $17.90. However, if I fill in the dimnensions on the online calculator for regular "priority mail package" it's $8.85. Whoa, that's a big difference. Isn't the flat rate supposed to be cheaper? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.

Regional Priority rate some times can be cheaper than flat rate.

Flat rate takes into account any weight up to 70lbs any distance in USA.

Regional uses exact weight and dimesions and distance in the calculation.

I shipped Regional flat 9 LBS within state ant was only $8. Same package priority mail $13 or even Standard post $9.

Make a box that fits your exact package size and regional may be cheaper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks got it. Very helpful. I appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
That is correct.

Regional Priority rate some times can be cheaper than flat rate.

Flat rate takes into account any weight up to 70lbs any distance in USA.

Regional uses exact weight and dimesions and distance in the calculation.

I shipped Regional flat 9 LBS within state ant was only $8. Same package priority mail $13 or even Standard post $9.

Make a box that fits your exact package size and regional may be cheaper!

You're also paying for the convenience and USPS providing you with a free shipping materials (box, label and no-tape required)>

You used to be able to take the free Flat Rate boxes and turn them inside out and re-tape them together with packing tape.. but they now print on the inside of them. One way around it is to wrap them in brown paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also "Regional Rate" boxes (A, B, C) that you can order online (and print the shipping label online). I don't have Power Grid to test it, but my sense is that it would fit in one of the B boxes (it's longer than a medium flat rate), which may be worth comparing the price.

If you have something smaller than a medium flat rate and something slightly larger than a small flat rate, the A regional rates are a good deal, even to the west coast - NY to CA is only $9-something (it would be a lot in a plain box).

Also note that Priority has free delivery confirmation and free $50 of insurance, and you get a discount if you print your shipping label online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. All helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
You used to be able to take the free Flat Rate boxes and turn them inside out and re-tape them together with packing tape.. but they now print on the inside of them. One way around it is to wrap them in brown paper.
The post office really frowns on this. If you ship via USPS and the paper comes off (or if they decide to check it) then they can charge the difference. Don't get a negative rating when the guy you're shipping to ends up having to pay extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
glouie wrote:

The post office really frowns on this. If you ship via USPS and the paper comes off (or if they decide to check it) then they can charge the difference. Don't get a negative rating when the guy you're shipping to ends up having to pay extra.

Really? Is that written in the terms of service somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind, just looked at one of the boxes I had on hand.. it's written "This packaging is the property of the US Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority Mail. Misuse may be a violation of federal law. This packaging is not for resale."

very interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.