Subject: I love Mice and Mystics. Here's why. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Once I tell you about my gaming tastes, it may not suprise you that I love Mice and Mystics.

My favorite games of all time, in order of complexity, are Magic Realm, Mage Knight, The D&D AS games(plus Dungeon Command and my custom campaign rules), Zombicide(All of it I can purchase and my custom campaign rules), and Mice and Mystics.

I play these games almost entirely solitaire, as most of them tend to run long, and some take serious time commitment to learn.

Mice and Mystics is the only one of these which I almost always play with other people. Most often with my wife.

My wife has been a gamer her entire life, so it's not a rare event that we play games together. That said, Mice and Mystics is the first dungeon crawler I thought she would enjoy, and I was right.

Of the games listed, It is lightest on complexity, but dripping with theme. The mice signify a more casual light hearted experience, which I think makes it more approachable for newcomers to the genre.

The mechanics are simple. Very much move, fight, repeat. But the game manages to put a narrative around all that. That keeps the game compelling.

Part of the simplicity of the mechanics is that most actions are resolved by die rolls, which can lead to situations in which a few bad rolls can spell disaster, or in which a few good rolls can make a battle a cakewalk.

I think this is a trade-off and one I'm fine with. For others, this trade-off isn't worth it. If that sounds like you, I don't think you're going to like this.

For the sake of simplicity, the randomness of the dice is one of the main tools for making the game difficult, or rather, introducing the possibility of failure.

All that said, the mechanics are enjoyable enough for veteran dungeon crawlers(who like heavy theme), but straightforward enough for people who have never moved a mini before.

The game has a rich story, a simple progression system and a great deal of flexibility. For instance, the boards are not strictly on a grid like many minis games, so in some cases the players are asked to make a judgment call. There was a line of sight issue at one point, but looking at the map we all agreed that we could hide behind this chair easily enough. So we played it that way, and that's part of the Rules As Written.

While not a component of the game, it has to be noted that Jerry Hawthorne, the designer, frequents these forums and is always happy to answer questions or enthuse about your latest variant. It's a rare thing to see and I appreciate his engagement.

To speak to the production quality, I'd have to rate it as very high. Some people have said the rulebook is poorly organized, others that it's perfect as is. You'll have to make your own determination.

I recommend this to solo dungeon crawlers looking for something a bit more relaxing, to people looking for a family friendly game that even young children can play, or to veteran dungeon crawlers who want to share their hobby with someone who has never shown much interest in the genre.

I think it's lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bookwormral Bookwormral
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Mice and Mystios with my 6 year old daughter. It made a gamer dad's heart swell to bursting when she was dancing round the living room at the end of chapter 8 singing "I squashed the spider" to her bemused 3 year old sister. Mice and Mystics is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Bookwormral wrote:
I play Mice and Mystios with my 6 year old daughter. It made a gamer dad's heart swell to bursting when she was dancing round the living room at the end of chapter 8 singing "I squashed the spider" to her bemused 3 year old sister. Mice and Mystics is great.

That's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
move, fight, repeat. But the game manages to put a narrative around all that. That keeps the game compelling.

If you find the narrative interesting, you will probably like this game despite the "move, fight, repeat" mechanics which are boring and repetitive (in my opinion).

If you are NOT gripped by the narrative (which I am not), the game can be tedious.

I am glad there are dungeon crawl games which a lot of parents find interesting enough that they can play with their children (and most children should enjoy the narrative).

I am just starting to play dungeon crawls with my kids (Heroquest at the moment).
Maybe, at some point, I will be able to look at Mice and Mystics through the eyes of a parent rather than the eyes of a gamer. Who knows?

Anyway - I am glad you are enjoying it and I wish it had gripped me when I tried it, but I just wanted it to end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Far and away the best non-kid's game I've played with my kids. I mostly just 'dm' now and let the kids play the mice (which now involves a romance between Colin and Lily). Thing is I would never bring this to my group as I'm sure they would be bored to tears, but for me to play with my kids it is perfect (full disclosure, I use dm-ing to simplify things a bit, my children are pretty young)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game need some streamlining to be fully enjoyable but the basics, the story and the characters are so strong that it's rewarding to do so. We play now without dice for moving, just character stats +1 for the heroes, and two for the minions (3 for the cockroaches and the spider). It speeds the game to not rule for movement and it bring up the strategy to have heroes moving slower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M mom
Netherlands
doesburg
gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
The game need some streamlining to be fully enjoyable but the basics

And what about more mini's!!!! the lack of them is the only thing which still holds me back from bying it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dicedaddy wrote:
Moshimon wrote:

And what about more mini's!!!! the lack of them is the only thing which still holds me back from bying it

I think this issue has been fixed with the Downwood Tales expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Zwerg wrote:
Dicedaddy wrote:
Moshimon wrote:

I think this issue has been fixed with the Downwood Tales expansion.

This. I just picked up Downwood(which is an awesome expansion anyway) and was impressed by the number and variety of the new minis. And they look really good too.

As a note though, if you play through the main campaign and the lack of visual variety is bugging you, it might be worth playing out of order and going right to Downwood. New minis, new mechanics.

Mind you, that doesn't help you in the short term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dicedaddy wrote:
Moshimon wrote:

i,m still waiting for downwood to be translated in french so I can't tell for the expansion but I didn't resent the lack of minis. It's a game meant to be played with children. And for that purpose it's perfect.
I purchased heart of glorm and will buy downwood. It's simply the best adventure game to enjoy with children in the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.