Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first D&DAW event is tomorrow. I'm really excited to see how things are going to play out, especially because I have ZERO idea about what the local meta will be like. We've got some good X-Wing and Star Trek Attack Wing players giving the game a go, so there is potential for the player skill to be above average.

I collection currently is: Starter, Shadow Black, Balista, and Sun Elf Wizard.

I'm planning to run this, for Tyranny of Dragons, Month 1.

Eshaedra
-Lightning Breath
-System Shock
-Devotrix of Tiamat

Umberlis
-Shadow Breath
-Merciless
-Blur

Dwarven Ballista

-120 points.

Any suggestions? Any changes? I'm not opposed to purchasing a pack or two (I have to purchase at least 1 as an entry fee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad build, but if you can find a way to get 3 or 4 points to throw Artillery Master or the other one (the one that converts Eyes into Crits) for the ballista you will find it becomes amazingly effective.

If you are truly doing OP1 then Umberlis with this Shadow rule is a very good option.

Get some practice at judging that all important 4 distance for Lightning breath. I'm good at judging distance and have made many an opponent waste a breath because I was a fraction of an inch out of range.

As for what to buy, I'd get a giant, both of them are very good or the wyvern or harpy. The good thing for you right now is that there are so many options out there you have a lot of good choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devotrix of Tiamat: Only worthwhile if you have multiple attacks in a round. Bolt weapons aren't likely to do that for you and you don't have Close Quarters. Just get a target token instead.

Blur: You are already in darkness, so you probably don't need this.

Upgrades worth considering:

Legendary Resistance
Cheap spells like Command and Magic Missile (use them on Lord Max)
(Ice Storm (particularly good in this scenario and with your dragons)
False Life (or Mirror Image)
Necrotic Oppression
Artillery Master

Avoid the terrain or make sure there are two figures within range 1 of the same spot if you don't want to become exhausted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordus wrote:
If you are truly doing OP1 then Umberlis with this Shadow rule is a very good option.

It is OP1, and the darkness is why I'm going to bring Umberlis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found system shock or blur all that valuable. Instead, I think I would replace with Legendary Resistance and False Life (or Mirror Image, if you have it). The one time I used Umberlis, it died REALLY quickly. It could use a couple of extra life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Alyksandyr wrote:
My first D&DAW event is tomorrow. I'm really excited to see how things are going to play out, especially because I have ZERO idea about what the local meta will be like. We've got some good X-Wing and Star Trek Attack Wing players giving the game a go, so there is potential for the player skill to be above average.
I collection currently is: Starter, Shadow Black, Balista, and Sun Elf Wizard.
I'm planning to run this, for Tyranny of Dragons, Month 1.
Eshaedra
-Lightning Breath
-System Shock
-Devotrix of Tiamat
Umberlis
-Shadow Breath
-Merciless
-Blur
Dwarven Ballista
-120 points.
Any suggestions? Any changes? I'm not opposed to purchasing a pack or two (I have to purchase at least 1 as an entry fee).

First off, I believe you're a long time Star Trek player, so welcome to the world of D&DAW.
My suggestions are based on the fact that I like to run dragon heavy builds, and because of that it's important to keep them alive.
I've got a couple of minor suggestions, and these are based on the assumption that you've only got one of each on your list.

For Eshy, I'd probably get rid of System Shock. I haven't found the secondary effects on the breath attacks to be that effective. D of T is okay, but you might do just as well by targeting or concentrating each turn. So I'd also get rid of D of T, and add Legendary Resistance and False Life.
(48 pts)

Normally I try to put LR and FL on every dragon, but since you've only got one starter, for Umberlis I'd replace Blur with Shield.
(50 pts)

I'd leave the ballista as is.

If you want a slightly different build, you can pair Eshy up with either Balagos or a generic red, and have a more offensive build.

For this game a second starter set is definitely not too much, as it adds seconds of very effective cards, with the added flexibility of two blue or two red builds.

As far as additional expansions, the silver dragon is definitely cool, as well as Jarl. I'd stay away from troops until you get a chance to play. If you can find a white dragon it's probably one of the better creatures currently in the game. It can really be beast.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Alyksandyr wrote:
My first D&DAW event is tomorrow.

Okay, so how'd it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
underling wrote:
Alyksandyr wrote:
My first D&DAW event is tomorrow.

Okay, so how'd it go?

+1. I'd also be interested to hear what experienced Xwing and StarTrek players thought about the differences in game play compared with their usual Flightpath games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll look to get a AAR up either today or tomorrow. I purchased Lord Max as my entry fee, but used nothing from the pack.

Thanks to some of your suggestions, I changed the list to this.

Eshaedra
-Lightning Breath
-Ring of Swift Breath

Umberlis
-Shadow Breath
-Legendary Resistance
-Blur

Dwarven Ballista
-Dwarven Precision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.