Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: The Past Of Wargaming and Paranoia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading several current and many past threads it seems to me that a lot of us (self included) tend to view initially any development as an existential threat to our hobby. A new game comes out with a novel mechanic. If anybody says it is good then we are frightened that this type of game will replace all other types of game coming out in the future. Why are we so innately conservative? Why do we take every thing so personally?


Edit Clarification: Conservative as in resistant to change not meant to be loaded politically!!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Get off my lawn.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's communism, that's what it is.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Reading several current and many past threads it seems to me that a lot of us (self included) tend to view initially any development as an existential threat to our hobby. A new game comes out with a novel mechanic. If anybody says it is good then we are frightened that this type of game will replace all other types of game coming out in the future. Why are we so innately conservative? Why do we take every thing so personally?


How do you connect being conservative with taking things personally? I consider myself conservative by nature and there's a lot I don't take personally.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Apart from the accusation that people of a conservative nature take things personally.

Or was that a joke. My spider senses are dulled after a day at work.

Screw it, I will thumb it just in case it was.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
TDMD wrote:
How do you connect being conservative with taking things personally? I consider myself conservative by nature and there's a lot I don't take personally.

Yet, you accuse us of taking it personally. Nice.
ninja
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Panek
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's the myth that long ago Wargames used to be everywhere, then those pesky RPGs came along, and they used to be everywhere, then that pesky Magic:the Gathering came along, and that used to be everywhere until them pesky X-Boxes came along, and they used to be everywhere until those pesky tablet/phones came along.

Some people look at it as the market steadily shrinking, some look at it as 'cool I can play 'Bull Run' on my phone while waiting at the DMV'.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzagl wrote:
It's the myth that long ago Wargames used to be everywhere, then those pesky RPGs came along, and they used to be everywhere, then that pesky Magic:the Gathering came along, and that used to be everywhere until them pesky X-Boxes came along, and they used to be everywhere until those pesky tablet/phones came along.

Some people look at it as the market steadily shrinking, some look at it as 'cool I can play 'Bull Run' on my phone while waiting at the DMV'.


Not to mention that some people, if you handed them a $20Bill, they would hand it back and say "I don't want it, it's wrinkled."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
It's communism, that's what it is.


One could only wish. devil
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TDMD wrote:

How do you connect being conservative with taking things personally? I consider myself conservative by nature and there's a lot I don't take personally.


I see what you did there. That's funny. I don't normally catch such subtle humor.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
msg tools
mb
You might want to look at this piece written by Douglas Adams in 1999, it has some similar ideas (a few very British cultural references aside) :

http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/19990901-00-a.html

specifically :

1) everything that’s already in the world when you’re born is just normal;

2) anything that gets invented between then and before you turn thirty is incredibly exciting and creative and with any luck you can make a career out of it;

3) anything that gets invented after you’re thirty is against the natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it until it’s been around for about ten years when it gradually turns out to be alright really.

Apply this list to movies, rock music, word processors and mobile phones to work out how old you are.
31 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old man shakes cane at cloud!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(grabs popcorn, wonders how long before thread is moved to RSP)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TDMD wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Reading several current and many past threads it seems to me that a lot of us (self included) tend to view initially any development as an existential threat to our hobby. A new game comes out with a novel mechanic. If anybody says it is good then we are frightened that this type of game will replace all other types of game coming out in the future. Why are we so innately conservative? Why do we take every thing so personally?


How do you connect being conservative with taking things personally? I consider myself conservative by nature and there's a lot I don't take personally.


Conservative as in resistant to change not meant to be loaded politically!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "better" when you're content; things can only get worse or stay the same.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to embrace a game with novel mechanics as long as it shortens playing time and simplifies the rules.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
It's communism, that's what it is.


Communism was just a red herring!
14 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:
It's communism, that's what it is.


Communism was just a red herring!


Well, it WOULD have to be red, wouldn't it?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrrrrrggggghhhhh!

Why did you change your avatar, Lance!? I liked Blurry Lance!

I know it wasn't better, but it was the first Lance I knew. That will always be "Lance" to me.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Dal Bello
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Reading several current and many past threads it seems to me that a lot of us (self included) tend to view initially any development as an existential threat to our hobby. A new game comes out with a novel mechanic. If anybody says it is good then we are frightened that this type of game will replace all other types of game coming out in the future. Why are we so innately conservative? Why do we take every thing so personally?


Edit Clarification: Conservative as in resistant to change not meant to be loaded politically!!



I am still upset by your recently revised avatar.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:
Arrrrrrggggghhhhh!

Why did you change your avatar, Lance!? I liked Blurry Lance!

I know it wasn't better, but it was the first Lance I knew. That will always be "Lance" to me.


Gee I did not know anybody would mind. That's (clear)the way it looks every where else,except face Face book. Face book does not like my picture because it is to small. So on Face book alone there is instead a photo of me meeting Ron Jeremy at the local porn store.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm deeply offended by your "new" avatar because it is novel.

Oh, wait, what was the OP about? Ah, screw it - back to the bourbon.....

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Arcology wrote:
Arrrrrrggggghhhhh!

Why did you change your avatar, Lance!? I liked Blurry Lance!

I know it wasn't better, but it was the first Lance I knew. That will always be "Lance" to me.


Gee I did not know anybody would mind. That's (clear)the way it looks every where else,except face Face book. Face book does not like my picture because it is to small. So on Face book alone there is instead a photo of me meeting Ron Jeremy at the local porn store.


..you guys have GOT to stop meeting like that..... devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just kidding, Lance.

Greg S. has the gist of it, though: I was commenting on the nature of change and human irrationality using your avatar switch as an example.

Plus, bourbon.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barton Campbell
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
nomoredroids wrote:
There is no "better" when you're content; things can only get worse or stay the same.


I disagree.

I was content with milk as an infant. I have found that lasagna is way, way better.


I was content with sucking a nipple as an infant. As an adult I still am.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bartman347 wrote:
I was content with sucking a nipple as an infant. As an adult I still am.


Tsk. Conservative.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.