Hide
10 Posts

Catan: Traders & Barbarians» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are Fish Considered Production? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Peacock
msg tools
This is a pretty fundamental question that I feel like our group should have already known, but it's just one of those things that randomly came up.

When combining Cities & Knights with Fish from Traders & Barbarians, are fish considered production such that a player does not get a card of his choice if he has the Aqueduct (on the green calendar)?

Using the language of the rulebook, it says fish are obtained by the roll of the PRODUCTION die, ergo, it does seem they count as production.

The supplemental rules for combining these scenarios (found at catan.com) do not specifically address this. So what ruling does the BGG community give?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Tait
Japan
Akita
Akita
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Board Gamer, Mystara & Calidar Cartographer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there is an official ruling either, but we treat it as production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and this past Wednesday night, we did not. I am good with it either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Peacock
msg tools
I ended up writing Rules Guru on catan.com. I got a reply but they misunderstood my question. Oddly though, they said that you can take fish in lieu of a card using Aqueduct. LOL. I replied to clarify my question and we'll see what they have to say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update and I hope it goes well for you. I have had little luck over the years getting any answer from them at all. I wish they would take some time out from releasing all these new editions , etc. and hammer out a coherent FAQ/errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a FAQ which covers all ever asked questions. But since some little expansions have been published in German only, we have not translated all questions. You can find the FAQ here: http://www.catan.com/service/faq
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've now discussed the question:

Fishes are no resources and therefore a player with an Aqueduct can take a resource of his choice when he only gets fish.

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Peacock
msg tools
The ruling from Mayfair's Rules Guru is that fish are not treated as resources in such forms as being able to trade or have them taken by the robber, therefore they do not count as "production" and a player may take a resource card using Aqueduct even if he/she acquires fish on the roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Tait
Japan
Akita
Akita
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Board Gamer, Mystara & Calidar Cartographer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I didn't see that one coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is now in the FAQ:
http://www.catan.com/faqs/97?page=4

Hmmm...how to get notified of updates on this...have to rig the change-tracking robot to look for changes on each page, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.