Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks super cool, great Art,

......awesome ship miniatures and fantastic modular game board.
Reviews have been very positive and it looks a fairly meaty gamers game set in space.
This baby has to fund, anyone interested in this, then please drum up all the support you can, I will do also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game needs only some exposure and hopefully it will take off.

I have a very limited online following and a small gaming group but, I've shared it with them to get this off the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this initially but I think the campaign needs to be re-imagined .. the initial Funding Goal is too high and there's a spark missing (IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodney
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
I backed this initially but I think the campaign needs to be re-imagined .. the initial Funding Goal is too high and there's a spark missing (IMO).

Just a reminder XIA goal was $100k and made over $345k. The goal is not the problem. There is something missing, whatever it is I an still backing this game. There is nothing needed for this game other than production. Maybe a backer poll or some other backer involvement would help. If you really believe in this game help out and spread the word. The smallest thing we do can be the biggest help. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
About the lack of spark, I'd love to hear any more thoughts on this. I agree, but I'm having a hard time figuring out anything definite spark-wise. Should I have hired someone else do to the video voice over (or the whole video)? Used more marketing hype phrasing? Focused on why you NEED this game NOW!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodney
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan it is good to see you in the forums. I read one of the ship pdf midnight rose. Great back story. You ship have back stories, use that. Talk more on the alien race the captains are fighting against. I would like to hear more on them. I am glad I am backing this game. Getting the ship maps helps fuel my excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves L
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game and gameplay looks great but imho the boxcover and playerboards are only mediocre artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Caracappa
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to reiterate what I've heard. This game is hard to find on Kickstarter.

I don't know how I found it initially, but it is really buried there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I've emailed the "staff pick" guys on Kickstarter, though that seems to be pretty random as to results. I also tweaked the summary statement for the game, which is what (along with the title) gets searched to find the game. It's a little awkward but includes all the key words I think people might think to use (space miniature board game etc.) If there is anything else I can do regarding visibility on Kickstarter (other than a big influx of backers or course , let me know and I'll get right on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, with regarding tweaks for kick starter search, I think "board game" is a major plus.
That is the search term I always use and it's surprising how little board games show up on results.
Let's hope more traffic comes to the page now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ryan,

More miniatures as stretch goals, and more backstory to generate appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to that!

The existing product line is fantastic. Any effort to leverage that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
You know, it's really frustrating when tile-laying games are making 125K on Kickstarter, and this beautiful game is going so slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan,

I told you I was tapped out, but dammit... I had to back this. Regardless of where the campaign goes I wanted to add my vote of confidence. Yes, this game looks amazing; yes, it definitely needs to get funded. Good luck with the rest of the campaign.

I saw that Undead Viking got his video up. Haven't had a chance to watch it, but hopefully it raises awareness and brings in more backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aegisgrimm wrote:
You know, it's really frustrating when tile-laying games are making 125K on Kickstarter, and this beautiful game is going so slow.

To be fair, and assuming you mean "Between Two Cities" that campaign is being run by a company that has proven themselves to be the the best (IMHO) KS'er project managers. They have delivered four highly succesful and amazing quality games/components. Plus the have a money back guarentee so it's not really a riks buying from them.

That said this game does look quite good, love the art (except the player boards) the mini's look great and very cool back story. I hope it succeeds and I think this is a great project that I would back if:

a) I had the money to spend
b) didn't already own Xia

Now if by some miracle the maintenance needed on my car and the new tires I need to buy doesn't cost as much as I think it will I'd love to back this.

One question for the designer and more of a curiosity from a design standpoint why did you go with squares instead of Hex's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I have nothing but good things to day about Jamie Stegmaier and his company. He's done a tremendous amount to help creators like me bring our dreams to Kickstarter. I never would have even attempted this if not for all of the information he has made available - especially regarding international shipping (which still terrifies me).

Regarding the squares vs. hexes, I know that's a dangerous can of worms to open up (ok so worms aren't all that dangerous, but still). I personally like squares better. I think they look better and I don't find it overly burdensome to keep Pythagoras happy by just double counting every other diagonal. The ships in Corsairs typically don't move more than 3 or 4 squares so it doesn't come up all that often. If I were dealing with ships moving 8+ squares a turn - or if I had to mark an area of effect as a "circle", I would have gone with hexes.

For Corsairs specifically, it was squares from the start because my initial concept was imagining that the board represented a high-tech scanner display of the Shadowstar Expanse; like a big table where shadowy commanders would push ship markers around with sticks.

In my imagination at least, those sorts of tables are rectangular and use a grid for coordinates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0 hr wrote:
I have nothing but good things to day about Jamie Stegmaier and his company. He's done a tremendous amount to help creators like me bring our dreams to Kickstarter. I never would have even attempted this if not for all of the information he has made available - especially regarding international shipping (which still terrifies me).

I figured you probably read his blog just from reading your KS'er page. That is a terrific resource for project creators and the public.

0 hr wrote:

For Corsairs specifically, it was squares from the start because my initial concept was imagining that the board represented a high-tech scanner display of the Shadowstar Expanse; like a big table where shadowy commanders would push ship markers around with sticks.

In my imagination at least, those sorts of tables are rectangular and use a grid for coordinates.

Brilliant! I never even thought of that but I can totally see it now. I have a friend backing the game (that's how I originally heard about it) so if I can't get my funds situated I'll at least be able to play it. I'll definitely be thinking of it that way when I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unknown Ediology
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to throw my own voice in here to let you know that I absolutely love the idea/look of this game! Very excellent work, Ryan! I look forward to enjoying the game as soon as it gets funded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0 hr wrote:
I've emailed the "staff pick" guys on Kickstarter, though that seems to be pretty random as to results. I also tweaked the summary statement for the game, which is what (along with the title) gets searched to find the game. It's a little awkward but includes all the key words I think people might think to use (space miniature board game etc.) If there is anything else I can do regarding visibility on Kickstarter (other than a big influx of backers or course , let me know and I'll get right on it.

Hey Ryan. I'm having a hard time envisioning the scale (size) of the components for this game. I get the impression the pieces are very small from the images on the kickstarter page. It would be nice if there was a person or hand next to some of them so we could see how big everything is from perspective. I think I read somewhere the sector tiles are 8", but would never have guessed that from the images on the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I bet that's a result of the "macro" setting I used on the camera for the close ups. It gives a great depth of field but I think it also gives things that "really small" look. I'll see about getting a shot with something for scale but in the mean time if you play any of these other games, you can get a sense for the size:

The two grey ships are a player vessel (the Akita Inu) and a larger ConFed Cruiser from Corsairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I took a picture with some common objects for size references (and some blatant product placement in case any corporations want to become an official sponsor...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
0 hr wrote:
Ok, I took a picture with some common objects for size references (and some blatant product placement in case any corporations want to become an official sponsor...).

Shadow Corsairs... Sponsored by Diet Coke!
The next big step in board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Hey....would those tiles fit on a letter sized sheet?

Regardless of what you might say, I would gladly make an additional pledge above and beyond the base game for a PnP copy to tide me over until November, even if the ships and troops had to be tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Dolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0 hr wrote:
About the lack of spark, I'd love to hear any more thoughts on this. I agree, but I'm having a hard time figuring out anything definite spark-wise. Should I have hired someone else do to the video voice over (or the whole video)? Used more marketing hype phrasing? Focused on why you NEED this game NOW!!!

Two thoughts - I do like it when people use a different voice for an intro, it seems a bit like a movie trailer. Then it gives you an opportunity to provide a contrast with your commentary. Kind of a "oh, this is a mysterious, sexy game" then you can remind people "It's also really well thought out".

Point 2 - I think the shadowstar is under represented. Until I saw the undead Viking video I hadn't really thought about that (even though it's in the title). Going into a restricted, lawless area is a cool idea; it gives purpose to the letters of marque. That also sets up why it is ok to operate on the fringe of the law and blast your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

The sector tiles are just under 8 inches on a side and so fit well on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. I printed out dozens (and dozens) of those at my local FedEx print shop to make the prototypes. My poor home printer couldn't do even a single sheet because of the black background.

Thank you for the feedback. If I end up relaunching, I'll look at hiring a professional voice over (and adding some background info to better set the scene).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.