1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Did I get a knockoff copy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: IP [+] [View All]
Aaron H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I bought a copy of Dominion Intrigue new in shrink from ebay. It was normal price as those go....There are a lot of things about the finish that are different from the other 4 boxes I currently own:

The box finish is matte.
The rulebook finish is also matte.
The print on the rules is much darker.
The print on the cards is lighter.
The insert piece that marks the card locations doesn't quite fit with sleaved cards.

The last could just be a bad cut, but the rest are distinct changes...

So did I get a knockoff copy? Or did Rio Grande make these changes? I'm about to send them an email but I figured I'd ask here too since I have no idea what their customer service is like.

Any input appreciated, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm pretty sure that Rio Grande has a good reputation for customer service, and writing to them is free in any case.

If somehow you do have a knockoff copy, they might be very interested to know about it, but who knows, they might have even had a bad production run and your copy might be one that made it into the wild before they knew.

Worst case, you know what's going on and are no worse off with the game than you are now; best case, you *might* get a replacement copy if they think that the copy you have is not up to their usual standards of excellence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably have a pirated copy from China.
We have had all sorts of issues with illegal copies being produced and sold from there.

None of the alterations that you describe have ever been part of an official RGG set.

Sorry.
dale

aharown wrote:
So I bought a copy of Dominion Intrigue new in shrink from ebay. It was normal price as those go....There are a lot of things about the finish that are different from the other 4 boxes I currently own:

The box finish is matte.
The insert piece that marks the card locations doesn't quite fit with sleaved cards.

So did I get a knockoff copy? Or did Rio Grande make these changes? I'm about to send them an email but I figured I'd ask here too since I have no idea what their customer service is like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who was the Ebay seller?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
yudp wrote:
We have had all sorts of issues with illegal copies being produced and sold from there.

None of the alterations that you describe have ever been part of an official RGG set.

Sorry.
dale

aharown wrote:

The box finish is matte.

And there you have it. Fake Dominion. Board gaming has hit the big time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
What a bummer that we even have to worry about this stuff now.

Looks like buying new from reputable sources just became that much more important.

I'm sure there are a few out there thinking that the game is still playable, so it isn't as big of a deal as it may seem. The important thing to remember is that the wrong people are making the money. Those who put hard work into development of a product loose out to thieves, which in turn hurts our hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
What a bummer that we even have to worry about this stuff now.

Looks like buying new from reputable sources just became that much more important.

I'm sure there are a few out there thinking that the game is still playable, so it isn't as big of a deal as it may seem. The important thing to remember is that the wrong people are making the money. Those who put hard work into development of a product loose out to thieves, which in turn hurts our hobby.
Given how critical it is that cards match their expansions, I'm not so sure that the knockoff is even playable.

Pete (is somewhat less concerned since the original poster mentioned sleeves, though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's counterfeit, report the seller and the item to eBay. You should receive a refund as that is the policy of eBay. It is illegal to sell counterfeit items on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right. Reporting is my plan. But first I need to hear a response from Rio Grande...Gotta give them a few days.

I went into my FLGS on my break and looked at the copy they have on the shelf, but unfortunately it's in shrink and it's difficult to tell if the finish is matte or the partly glossy finish of every other expansion I've ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aharown wrote:
Right. Reporting is my plan. But first I need to hear a response from Rio Grande...Gotta give them a few days.

I went into my FLGS on my break and looked at the copy they have on the shelf, but unfortunately it's in shrink and it's difficult to tell if the finish is matte or the partly glossy finish of every other expansion I've ever seen.

If you have a "Friendly Local Game Store," why not support him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why do I need to explain to you whom I buy from?

There are two in fact...since I like both owners I buy from both of them, about one a month and switching back and forth between them ... I did just on Monday in fact. However, I do not have the budget to buy everything I want from them. And I'm not going to feel guilty for that...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
aharown wrote:

I believe Dale up there is part of the design team who made Dominion, confirming that you have a knock-off copy. Unless there was something else you were waiting to hear about.

aharown wrote:

Assuming this FLGS is a stand up business (not a run-down shack in the shady part of town,) it's probably a safe bet that his stock is legit. He gets his stuff from a distributor and I think it's unlikely that the major distributors would be dealing in shitty Chinese knock-offs.

You could also try looking for it in the larger franchise stores (I hear Chapters/Barnes & Noble have pretty good board games stocked these days. They'd probably have Dominion.) They would most certainly be getting their stock from nationwide distributors and not be dealing on the side with less reputable sources.

David Vander Ark wrote:

a) If the only people who bought board games online were people who didn't have at least one FLGS nearby, I don't think online stores would be doing half as well as they are. Extend that logic to everything that can be bought locally and one has to wonder how online shopping even got started in the first place.

b) He never said that he didn't support the FLGS, he only said he bought this one thing online. He could still be buying plenty of stuff there and still throw a few dollars at online stores as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:
aharown wrote:

Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself when you don't have any information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
aharown wrote:

yudp wrote:

Sorry.
dale

That was your response from Rio Grande, 3rd post in the thread. He is on the RGG/Dominion team, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
aharown wrote:

I believe Dale up there is part of the design team who made Dominion, confirming that you have a knock-off copy. Unless there was something else you were waiting to hear about.

Ah. I didn't process the "we" part of his post (or really, the whole implied insider knowledge of it) carefully enough. Thanks...looked at his designer page, good to know.

And thanks to Dale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So my wife just pointed out that the some fonts are different. So I did a closer comparison. Here are pictures of the bottom half of the card location insert strip from 4 Dominion sets: Base game, Intrigue, Prosperity and Seaside.

Can you spot the one I believe to be a knockoff?

There are three differences. Matte vs glossy, depth of color, and even FONT. They are all visible from these pictures.

Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hope the price was right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aharown wrote:
So my wife just pointed out that the some fonts are different. So I did a closer comparison. Here are pictures of the bottom half of the card location insert strip from 4 Dominion sets: Base game, Intrigue, Prosperity and Seaside.

There are three differences. Matte vs glossy, depth of color, and even FONT. They are all visible from these pictures.

Fixed.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious, especially when you look at the capital G in Gold.

Pete (wonders how much money the perpetrators are pocketing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsc19702 wrote:
David Vander Ark wrote:
aharown wrote:

Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself when you don't have any information?

A lot of indignation shown on this thread but its a fair enough question. Game stores are going out of business because they are being undercut by online retailers.

"FLGS" don't really exist, there might be a games store, but it doesn't automatically mean that it is local or friendly. Its a concept invented on BGG as a way of reminding people that these stores can be good for the community and worthy of support.

The OP used the term FLGS but despite there being an in shrink game on the shelf chose to save a few bucks and get it on ebay and ended up getting burnt with a shady copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
aharown wrote:

Fixed.
Yeah, it's pretty obvious, especially when you look at the capital G in Gold.

Pete (wonders how much money the perpetrators are pocketing)

FWIW; the Outpost set, even though much closer than the block text one in the bottom left, also uses a different font (just look at the O's and boldness)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3wgames wrote:

FWIW; the Outpost set, even though much closer than the block text one in the bottom left, also uses a different font (just look at the O's and boldness)

Well...That was given to me as a gift, ordered off of Amazon 2+ years ago (I'm only recently seriously getting into gaming and deciding to fill out the Dominion set). And none of the other issues are true of it. If it's also a knockoff, too much time has passed and it's much better done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
magnus_eisengrim wrote:
jsc19702 wrote:
David Vander Ark wrote:
aharown wrote:

A lot of indignation shown on this thread but its a fair enough question. Game stores are going out of business because they are being undercut by online retailers.

"FLGS" don't really exist, there might be a games store, but it doesn't automatically mean that it is local or friendly. Its a concept invented on BGG as a way of reminding people that these stores can be good for the community and worthy of support.

The OP used the term FLGS but despite there being an in shrink game on the shelf chose to save a few bucks and get it on ebay and ended up getting burnt with a shady copy.

It's not a fair question because again, it's none of your business how I choose to spend my money.

If there were only one in my area, I'd be a lot more likely to be exclusive to try and help keep it open. But if the market can support two as it is, then I feel less drive to be exclusive when my dollar can go farther elsewhere. And if the market can't support two, then my choosing not to be exclusive will hasten the day the inevitable happens, which I don't have a problem with (and not because I'm some big free market capitalist guy, because I'm not).

And in both cases their primary market is to MtG anyway. I have not been a player for 20 years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
magnus_eisengrim wrote:

The only indignation I see here is the one directed at the OP in an apparent attempt to either shame him for not buying locally, or even worse, imply that he somehow "deserved" getting a counterfeit game for shopping online.

Personally, I wish more game publishers would set MSRP at a more reasonable rate, one that more people could afford, and then ask retailers to cap a limit on what they can discount. Mayfair does something like this in an attempt to level the playing field between online and brick-and-mortar stores. Unfortunately, Mayfair still hasn't realized that $60 MSRP for a board game is far beyond the budgets of most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Unfortunately, Mayfair still hasn't realized that $60 MSRP for a board game is far beyond the budgets of most people.

Is it, though? Say a family of four goes to the movies twice a month, that's easily $60 or more right there. And with a boardgame purchase, long-term they would get way more use out of it than those 4 hours at the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
cbazler wrote:
Unfortunately, Mayfair still hasn't realized that $60 MSRP for a board game is far beyond the budgets of most people.

Is it, though? Say a family of four goes to the movies twice a month, that's easily $60 or more right there. And with a boardgame purchase, long-term they would get way more use out of it than those 4 hours at the movies.

Agree! Seems most people just see OMG $60 for a board game but fail to realize the dollar (or insert favorite currency here) vs hour of entertainment ratio. Heck at times I consider the cost of going out for dinner and drinks and say, hell with that lets buy a new game and save a few bucks.

Actually, once I consider the time that I have spent pricing a game, looking at and watching reviews here and there, watching that game unboxing video and had the game in and out of my cart a few times at Coolstuff Inc and in general just following the game here on BGG......

I have already exceeded my normal dollar vs entertainment ratio before I even own the game and actually acquiring the game is saving me money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.