Subject: Clutch Variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Play Ball
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my initial confusion about the immediate Clutch action, my buddy & I incorrectly chose between the Clutch action (ie, a single) OR the boxed base hit(s) below. In doing so, it created another layer of tension, since the boxed hits (ie, Homerun) still needed to be resolved.

I realize that this isn't the way it's supposed to be played, and it often seemed unfair to choose between a clutch single and an unresolved homerun, but it did make it that much more exciting. We encountered both scenarios, which heightened the drama.

But now that I know how it's supposed to be played, I did not realize how powerful the clutch cards are.

*edited for spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
They are powerful but conditional on having men on 2nd or 3rd. They help balance the Double Play card and remember when you play Clitch the other player gets everything he is threatening. Also helps balance Cyborgs since they cannot stop the immediate action a Clutch Hit part of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Ball
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, Mike. Really enjoy being able to pull BH2045 out in the evenings for a quick and rewarding 30-50 minutes of gaming. Hats off to you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you now why Clutch Hayes is my Coach card. devil

Believe me, Clutch is a tricky card to play well because it is so dependent on having advanced Base Runners. There are many times I put the Clutch Play On Deck (but not so many times as to be predictable!)

My favorite Clutch play came in a must-win game recently against Mike in a do or die 6th game in series play. I happened to Pinch Hit my first card for the top of my deck and to my immediate dismay it was my Clutch Immediate Action player! I was thinking to myself, what a waste!

The game was quite exciting and for my last card play we were neck and neck and both Mike and I had men bases full. I was in a predicament as I had to have at least 2 runs to win. I had 1 card left in the Lineup, and I knew realized it had to be Duplik8r from the Robots Expansion.

So I Pinch Hit for him and copied the Clutch Immediate Action from my In Play box and those two runs spelled the difference for the win. That was extremely exciting!

Mike actually had to question whether that was legal for a moment he was so surprised!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game!

Ralph
Baseball Highlights Commissioner
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Ball
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't really had any problems so far getting a man on 2nd or 3rd to use the clutch.

Note to self: Duplik8r + Clutch card. That's a killer combo!

Love the back-and-forth tension in the card play.

Thanks again, Ralph!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you how many games I lost because my opponent had a clutch and used it at the right time.

Mikefitz wrote:
They are powerful but conditional on having men on 2nd or 3rd. They help balance the Double Play card and remember when you play Clitch the other player gets everything he is threatening. Also helps balance Cyborgs since they cannot stop the immediate action a Clutch Hit part of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.