Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I ended up on this site through my fairly recent interest in Eurogames and stumbled a couple of months ago onto the reviews for Downtown. Everything I have read regarding this game makes it sound incredibly attractive, since I have long been very interested in the air war over Vietnam, especially at the scale represented by this game. I've never wargamed seriously before, only having played a couple of games years ago and once owning Flight Leader, but I am sorely tempted by Downtown. Before I plump down my readies, there are a couple of concerns holding me back, and any thoughts on these would be appreciated.

I live in central China. There are no other people who I can play this game with face to face. I see that Downtown is supported by a PBEM interface. Is there a fairly active community of gamers who actually use this feature? Are there some gamers who would be patient enough to play with a 'newbie'? I intend to play a few solo games to familiarise myself with the rules, but ultimately want to play against a real opponent. I would emphasise that I am familiar with the technology and historical setting (I don't need educating on what Iron Hand or Wild Weasel missions were, for example). I assume PBEM runs at a fairly leisurely pace so I can consult the rules thoroughly - I fear I would hold the game up if playing in real time online.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, since I don't want to spend money on the game (particularly the rather expensive postage!) and then find I will never be able to play it. I see that some other aviation wargames are recommended over Downtown as introductions to the genre, but to be honest I am not interested in wargaming air combat (which makes something that should be very fast-moving incredibly slow) or WWII (since I have no interest in WWII technology). The up-and-coming game recreating the Israeli wars does look very interesting, but it is the sheer range of technology represented by Downtown (e.g. A-1s and EF-10Bs to B-52s and F-111s) which makes it so appealing.

Many thanks for reading and for your feedback.

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look over the living rules and posted playbook. http://www.airbattle.co.uk/downtown.html

Here's a list of players who are looking for a game, but there's no indication of how up to date the info is.

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...

For wargames of this complexity, I recommend you also look at the game's folder on the Consimworld website.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@642.bofecgZErQI.50@.1dcd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bogdasarian
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downtown will be a tough place to start but there is an active PBEM community - most of the traffic regarding PBEM games seems to take place over on Consimworld.

Having a strong background in the weapons and tactics of the era will help you ease into the game, but there are a great many things you will need to assimilate before playing. As Kevin says, I'd recommend thumbing through the rulebook and seeing what you think of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. I've started reading the rules (I've got about halfway through, and it all seems pretty intuitive). The main issue seems to be simply remembering all the things that need to be done and when. I'm getting plenty of inspiration at the moment from all the MiG-21 formations flying over where I live (okay, they're probably Chengdu J-7s, but close enough) glinting silver in the sun. I think I'll be getting the game for Christmas, and see how I go...

cheers

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.