Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group are very new to modern board gaming and I want to give them the best chance to like/feel comfortable with this game. What's a similar but more gateway friendly game or games, besides Elder Sign, to ease them into the mechanics of Eldritch?

Or is the game simple enough not to need a lead in?

GAMES THEY'VE PLAYED: Forbidden Desert, King of New York, Ticket to Ride and then mostly party games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Little
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game mechanically is simple enough that they don't need a gateway. You might want to solo play thru once or twice before introducing it to them so you can get a firm grip on the rules before guiding them thru their first game, but otherwise its pretty easy. The rules are downloadable from FFG's site, and while the core rules are a 16 page document, half of that has more to do with setup than actually play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Elder Sign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Rob - doesn't need an intro.
In my experience complexity is never an issue in EH. Length and dependence on dice are a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mechanically simple because you don't have to understand many of the details before you start playing.
You explain that you win by solving three mysteries that are drawn at random.
You explain the turn structure (actions, encounter, mythos). You explain the types of actions.
With acquire asset, you explain tests.
With encounter phase, you explain that you have to fight ALL monsters and if they are none left you can encounter a token or location on the board (you can give them an idea of what to expect when they are planning their first turn).
With mythos phase, explain that doom will advance when omen matches gates, new gates and monsters could appear, and other bad stuff sometimes.

That's all you have to know to start (well, ONE person needs to know more but that's it)

You can explain concepts like defeated investigators, double sided cards, reckoning, epic mlnsters, etc, when it becomes relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kladan wrote:
Agree with Rob - doesn't need an intro.
In my experience complexity is never an issue in EH. Length and dependence on dice are a different story.

I agree with this. The game is simple enough for people to figure out the basics and how to play. The bigger issue will be the play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So when you guys were starting out, what was your progression like into longer games?

Did you just sort of jump in or did you and your gaming group ease into longer games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Boris
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be prepared to lose the first few times until they get familiar with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe served as a bit of a buffer for me between the shorter games and something like Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have played many different games in the range of 60 minutes... But do you regularly play games like this back to back? Do you get together and spend a whole day playing various games? If so, maybe people will be receptive to EH.

You could also try throwing some informational video into a social media post and see who is interested in the game.

I used to make the mistake of buying a game, bringing to game night, and trying to get people to play. Now I always post stuff about a game, with something like "I'm thinking of getting this" and seeing what others think. Then I know that people at game night are already expecting the game and are ready to play and I don't have to put the pressure on... Or I know to not even bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McVety
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kladan wrote:
Robinson Crusoe served as a bit of a buffer for me between the shorter games and something like Eldritch Horror.

You found RC to be shorter than Eldritch Horror?

I've only played the latter but heard good things about RC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
MrSleep wrote:
kladan wrote:

You found RC to be shorter than Eldritch Horror?

I've only played the latter but heard good things about RC.

I find Robinson Crusoe to be slightly shorter. It might also depend on player count. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RC isn't such a long game if you know what you are doing, but the first play can be really slow if you are learning the game, and the rulebook is just dreadful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RC for me lasts ~1.5-2 hours. EH - ~2-3 hours, sometimes more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Play to one Mystery, and focus on how to defeat that Mystery. I think the Azathoth Mysteries that boil down to "Gather Clue tokens, you idiots" work well. goo

Mechanics for EH are easy to pick up. The overall strategy and tactics, and how the cards work, maybe not so much. You need to nudge them away from distractions, and explain the cards, so they don't fall into the newbie trap of "Oh, I don't know what to do, so I'll go do something that kills me. I just died, I hate this game". However, if they've beaten Forbidden Desert, they at least know the concept of opportunity cost (and dying).

Also, review the Investigators before play. Pre-select the easiest ones, avoiding those with equipment. Get rid of small cards that are too complicated. The Focus rule from Mountains of Madness might be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Play to one Mystery, and focus on how to defeat that Mystery. I think the Azathoth Mysteries that boil down to "Gather Clue tokens, you idiots" work well. goo

Mechanics for EH are easy to pick up. The overall strategy and tactics, and how the cards work, maybe not so much. You need to nudge them away from distractions, and explain the cards, so they don't fall into the newbie trap of "Oh, I don't know what to do, so I'll go do something that kills me. I just died, I hate this game". However, if they've beaten Forbidden Desert, they at least know the concept of opportunity cost (and dying).

Also, review the Investigators before play. Pre-select the easiest ones, avoiding those with equipment. Get rid of small cards that are too complicated. The Focus rule from Mountains of Madness might be helpful.

All the advice above is good. In addition to the new Focus Tokens, include the character Charlie. Together they make the game easier. Also, if you play Charlie, you'll have more time to focus on the mechanics such as the reckonings. Download a cheatsheet from BGG to held keep track of the order of reckonings. Stress the importance of travel tickets and ideally having one spare.

Finally, explain to players they should try to boost their characters early on but after about 3 or 4 turns switch to focusing on the mysteries. In one of our first games, one player spent most of the game in Sydney boosting strength and gaining weapons - but never got around to fighting a monster. This rolls would have been great - if he had ever got around to doing anything useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they played Forgotten Desert they already know all the mechanics of the game. The game LOOK complicated but it's not. It's Pandemic with story telling and dices. Just tell them it's like Forgotten Desert, everybody have powers and you have 2 actions every turn kinda like Pandemic and Forgotten Desert and you should be fine.
After one or two turn they should understand the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I just posted in the Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island forum.

In my limited experience I noticed that people who knew H.P. Lovecraft loved this game immediately. But those who didn't just played and lacked anything they could relate to for fun. It was more of going though the mechanics without the gotcha.

Now... that's not to say that gamers won't take to this quickly but thematic games often need the theme to mean something to the individual for best enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.