Subject: I can't believe I got spanked. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Palm
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Fellow Cataners, I write in a quandry. I played the set-up shown in the image posted with the same caption. When playing two player, my friend and I are in the habit of playing to 18 VP. (This is an extension of the 15 VP target we use in two handed Settlers...) He smoked me. Bad. I am upset.

I am hoping to get some definite support for my case. I know the dice hosed me, and I think I should have won from the set-up. I ask this: please try the set-up, and reply with the results.

Notes:

18 VP to win
Other rules strictly as printed.
Red (the scurvy ridden dog that besterd me) rolls first, begins game obviously with 1 each sheep, wood, brick
Blue (the right honorable Viss) rolls second, begins game obviousy with 1 each ore, wood, brick

How it went down:

I realize that as an 8 failed to appear before the raiders, my city was doomed, (a fact of which the odds arent't in favor...) I still feel I should have been at the least competitive. My initial thoughts about this set-up was that it was a good fair board, and the dice would choose the favorite, but I am also the more attentive player, and had previously never fallen to this foe, in about 8 games. So, please, play and report. I've been given a promise of a second try at this set-up myself, but must wait two days. Anyone who has ever logged into BGG and read a forum post knows this is too long to wait.

During the course of the match, 10 was rolled to my opponents boon a strikingly large number of times, and 5 superceded 9 4 to one at least. Also, post barbarians, I was the victim of the robber perpetually, just from his roll of sevens, until he had around 11 points to my 5. I was way behind in progress cards, although I did get one book and built with it before my city was destroyed. (The same six provided him with a knight, obviously...)

He didn't even play well, neglecting to draw at least 3 progress cards, and numerous resources and commodities. I am so raw by these events, I can't sleep.

Thanks for any help and have fun, death to the red bastards,
Viss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds just like my first game with my wife. I was basically smoked by the die rolls, and after I lost my city to the barbs it just went completely downhill. My wife didn't even concentrate on building much, she just collected Development cards to further hose me down. Most of her Victory Point came from Development Cards, and Defender of Catan cards.

After the game, I'd concluded that part of the reason why the game went as it did was because it's really meant to be a 3-4 player game, not a 2 player game. With 3 players, the leading player would have to deal with up to 8 Development cards played against him. Those Development cards are vicious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Palm
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
TaleSpinner wrote:
This sounds just like my first game with my wife. I was basically smoked by the die rolls, and after I lost my city to the barbs it just went completely downhill. My wife didn't even concentrate on building much, she just collected Development cards to further hose me down. Most of her Victory Point came from Development Cards, and Defender of Catan cards.

After the game, I'd concluded that part of the reason why the game went as it did was because it's really meant to be a 3-4 player game, not a 2 player game. With 3 players, the leading player would have to deal with up to 8 Development cards played against him. Those Development cards are vicious.

Those are good points, but sometimes two players is what you have, and the joy there lies in successive games. Obviously, someone in the lead is better brought down by a pack than a single man.

I am still hoping some of you gamers will actually play out the scenario.

Thanks,
Viss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.