Popular Tags: [View All]
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I am very interested to hear exactly what game play changes have been made to the fighters for this new version - their stats, their special abilities, etc. Has this been posted somewhere? I looked around but I couldn't find it. I did find a post where one of the publishers aid they would make a thread to talk about exactly this, but I didn't see where he did that, so maybe he never did. Either that or I missed it!

From the original publishing announcement thread:

Robin Red Games wrote:

I'll make a BGG topic in a few days.
I'll present in detail the various changes we have made ​​to the French edition.
The rulebook will contain the rules of Nicholas and our advanced rules. Thus, we hope that all players will be satisfied.
I'll comment the excellent reception made by the French gamers to CHUNKY FIGHTERS in its presentation during the FLIP Parthenay (France), few days ago.

So, does anyone know what's different about the fighters? Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the English rulebook.

I really like all of the changes Robin Red Games made to Chunky Fighters. They smoothed out a lot of the weird little design quirks I had in the game, they made it more exciting and fun by adding optional challenge mode and rage tokens, and they did all of this without nerfing or overbalancing the fighter abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Nick - I have read through he rulebook and I am very excited to try out the changes as well! But I was asking about whether any of the fighter abilities changed, and if so, how.

Thanks anyway for the reply (and congrats on a much deserved publishing of your fun game)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of the fighters' abilities were left pretty much unchanged. Some of them were simplified to make them easier to use and some were powered up to make them more useful. Here are some examples:

- The Werewolf changes form whenever she takes 2 damage at once, so a strong hit will calm her down or piss her off.
- The Tentacle Monster now automatically disarms anyone it successfully damages.
- The Gunslinger can still take his turn whenever he wants, but now he has an extra ability that gives him +1 damage to all his attacks if he is one of the last two fighters on the table.
- The Wizard's double casting ability can now attack two or three targets at once. If you attack two targets, use the medium hit die; if you attack three targets, use the weak hit die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
The majority of the fighters' abilities were left pretty much unchanged. Some of them were simplified to make them easier to use and some were powered up to make them more useful. Here are some examples:

- The Werewolf changes form whenever she takes 2 damage at once, so a strong hit will calm her down or piss her off.
- The Tentacle Monster now automatically disarms anyone it successfully damages.
- The Gunslinger can still take his turn whenever he wants, but now he has an extra ability that gives him +1 damage to all his attacks if he is one of the last two fighters on the table.
- The Wizard's double casting ability can now attack two or three targets at once. If you attack two targets, use the medium hit die; if you attack three targets, use the weak hit die.

That is really neat! I couldn't find if the fighter abilities for the new version (and thus what/if they changed) had been revealed anywhere. I wouldn't want to spoil anything if they were supposed to be kept a secret, but I am very interested in testing out what other balance changes they may or may not have made to see what I think of them. Perhaps if they wanted to keep them a surprise a little longer, after the games are shipped, they could post a short description of what abilities they changed and why, as I would find it a very fun read from a game design perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the news section of the Ulule page they listed the abilities of 13 other fighters (two of them completely new - Teacher and Oil Baron). It's written completely in French, but you can probably get the gist of it using Google translate and being familiar with the existing abilities. As above, most of them are unchanged and a few have been tweaked slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tylor Lilley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
In the news section of the Ulule page they listed the abilities of 13 other fighters (two of them completely new - Teacher and Oil Baron). It's written completely in French, but you can probably get the gist of it using Google translate and being familiar with the existing abilities. As above, most of them are unchanged and a few have been tweaked slightly.

Wow, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks Nick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.