Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What’s it about?
'Kabale und Hiebe' is a card game where 2 to 6 players try to collect point cards by playing bidding cards under the desired point card. The game is played in six rounds. The player with the most points, based on the point cards, is the winner.

How does it work?
In 'Kabale und Hiebe' each player receives an identical stack of bidding cards. Each of these cards depicts a number, being the points the card is worth, and sometimes a special action.
The 'point' cards have a number from 1 to 5 and one of six symbols on them.

At the start of a round, as many 'point' cards as players are placed open on the tabel next to each other. All players draw the top three cards of their deck and the playing starts.

During his turn, a player has to play a card from his hand face down under one of the 'point' cards and draws a new one. If a player plays a next card under a point card, the previous card in that column is revealed and its special action, if any, executed.

The round ends if there are as many bidding cards under each 'point'-cards as the point-card is worth.

All cards are now turned face up and scoring starts. The final special effects are checked and the player with the highest score wins the 'point'-card.

Winner is he/ she who after six rounds has the most points.

Where is the fun?
'Kabale und Hiebe' is a game with a considerable 'take that' factor but in a surprising un-aggressive way. There are plenty of cards with special effects making the gameplay refreshing and keeping the tension up until the last moment.
Also your score is doubled if you were able to collect one of each type of 'point' cards which makes bidding sometimes fierce for specific cards.

Why should I like this?
- Refreshing feel to the game
- Easy to explain
- Tension remains throughout the game

Why shouldn’t I like this?
- Players who want full control of a game shoudl stay clear
- Since you have to play one of the three cards from your hand, you might wnat to find the luck of draw a bit too much.

Final verdict
'Kabale und Hiebe' feels like a fun card game which fits in the same category as 'Pickomino' and 'Diamant'. Although there is not much depth in the game, it certainly allows for tactical play.
For me, this was one of the nice surprises from this year's Essen.

Note that this is a review and thus therefore not cover all the rules of the game.
Edit: Inserted the images and corrected a typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Lievens
Belgium
Hallaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mb
Did you play this in Eindhoven?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I did. And meanwhile, I've played it at our gaming night as well. The translation from the German cards to Dutch is available as a small player aid.

Just send me a note if you need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the Dutch version is available, I just spotted it at my FLGS:
"Bedriegers Bedrogen"
but I didn't look at the distributer (999?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's indeed distributed by 999games and was demoed at the Spellenspektakel fair in Eindhoven a few weeks ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Lievens
Belgium
Hallaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mb
I played it there, too, and bought it. We played it in our local gamer group a few times now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Hey Musti,

How's the dutch translation, is it as bad as the english one?

What about keeping five cards in your hand instead of three. That would lower the luck factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the Dutch version pretty good. But since the game has been explained to me, I've only used the rules for quick reference.

You can indeed lower the luck factor by drawing more cards. It's up to you to find the sweet spot between reducing luck but not increasing AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Musti wrote:
I've found the Dutch version pretty good. But since the game has been explained to me, I've only used the rules for quick reference.

You can indeed lower the luck factor by drawing more cards. It's up to you to find the sweet spot between reducing luck but not increasing AP.

What's AP ?? Action Points?
wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.