Subject: Naval Classes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
A few questions to make sure that I have everything correct. (I thought that I had things correct some days ago but...)

Given the order of Naval classes, a BB block has 3 Bonus when firing on a SS block (so hitting on a 3-6). A CA block has 2 Bonus when firing at a SS block (so hitting on 4-6). A SS block fires last in fire order so it has to take punishment from every other class of ship before it gets to fire.

And...concerning Navy Tech. From what I see, the German submarines in Convoy boxes will only have a Tech advantage with the UK in May and June of 1940. These are the only months in which the Germans can ignore the first hit taken by a SS in the Convoy Box. Is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Netherlands
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how I played it. Also with the Tech level superiority in May and June. I only paired subs with DD and CA to prevent high amounts of damage. As the Germans can only operate in 1 convoy box with Reader it has not much use to split the fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,

thus a standard Royal Navy fleet (2 BB, 4 CA, 4 DD) will roll:

2x 0.66
4x 0.50
4x 0.33

Total 4/5 hits on submarines before they can reply.

Better overstrength anti Submarine Warfare Fleet:

4 CA and 4x 4 DD fleet:

4x 0.50
16x 0.33

Total 7 hits on submarine and no risk a precious BB is hit.

1 hit is shielded by submarine if they have TECH superiority, but it is however a massacre the Kriegsmarine cannot afford.

Does it help?

ema

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeeKenny GeeKenny
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Greg,

When te Germans have a DD and Submarine, the UK BB hits both on 4-6.
When the Germans add a cruiser they hit on 5-6.
In the last example they hit 5-6 on the CC, DD and also 5-6 on the submarine. When there is no CC and DD they hit the sub on 3-6.
They is how I understood the rules.

So when playing the germans simple add some surface ships and hit UK ships were you can. After France falls keep switching between convoyboxes.

Outcome felt very strange to me, because in most ETO games, strategic warfare hits UK on economy, but in this game it hits also there fleet very hard. And that's were the UK gets in trouble.
Therefore we switched (Raoul and I)to playing without naval rules, UK economy and losses is then a lot better integrated in the game.

Make sure the UK don't get the Wilson Force, attack as soon as possible Yugoslavia and Greece, with airsupport and some good movement this should be possible.
Without Wilson Force UK have a very hard time in Afrika. Then add some NONE-tropicalized bombers (stuka) to Crete and hit the UK ground units in Afrika, your ground forces will do the rest.

Main problem why the Axis are to strong is logistics, what is the benefit of HQ's in the game? Axis have plenty oil.....?
In addition ask yourself what brings the resourcesystem yellow blue en red cubes? Did you ever had a though decision to make no? Examples:
1) When playing soviets you never build air because you are short on techlevel
2) When playing soviets you never build armor till the guards arrive because you need infantry to fill the gaps.
3) And as the Germans you can build whatever you like, you could easily add 2 white factories and armor factories in the first year.

We were with 2 and had a very slow gamepace.
But don't let my critiscm influence your gamefun enjoy your 1939 game

Raoul and I started with a new houserule set, but we immediately noted that when changing for example what Ivan says less blocks, you will have to change income and costs to. It can be done but it aint easy.

At the moment I am playing The War from Compass Games, I like it.

gr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.