Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know in wallenstein when you battled successfully vs a neutral contry a revolt marker had to be placed in the conquered country, but i cant' find this rule in shogun.
Has it been changed?
thx in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
Hm, don't know Wallenstein but in Shogun this rule doesn't exist. Revolt markers are placed after you gather rice or money in a province, or if you successfully suppress an uprising, but not for simply invading a neutral province.

If you can beat the one farmer in a neutral province it is yours without any revolt markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played Shogun for the first time this week-end.
According to the rules (Dutch version), no revolt marker needs to be placed after invading a neutral country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems odd that there are no other ways to add unrest markers. With five player doing two resource harvests in three seasons they could only use 30 unrest markers. Things then reset at the end of winter. Yet the game comes with 42 unrest markers.

At any rate I guess the 12 extra would allow you to play with the Wallenstein rule on conquering neutral territories even though it isn't in the Shogun rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Jones
Wales
Newport
Wales
flag msg tools
Well we played for the first time Sunday, and whilst you definitely placed a revolt marker after taxing a province for income, as I recall there was no mention of even placing a revolt marker after confiscating rice.

If you conficated rice in an area already with a revolt marker, then there was an issue, but there's nothing special in the very small paragraph on confiscating rice.

Likewise, there was no mention of placing a revolt counter after invading a neutral province.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Jones
Wales
Newport
Wales
flag msg tools
OK. I went and checked the rules and you do put down a revolt marker after collecting rice, as well as collecting taxes.

I think the rule layout on this is poor however, and I can see why we made the mistake.

There's nothing about placing a revolt marker in a recently defeated neutral country though. Read it twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zonkfish wrote:
I think the rule layout on this is poor however, and I can see why we made the mistake.

We didn't understand this at all. Personally I think the rulebook is horrible. Thank God for BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hathaway
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know; I think the rules are pretty clear. Unfortunately the relevant section goes over into the next page. It says:
"When a player collects taxes or rice from a province, it is possible that a revolt will occur. (See rules for Resolving Battles...) If no revolt occurs, or if a revolt is successfully put down, 1 revolt marker is placed in the province."
The only part that's left to the "Resolving Battles" section is what actually makes a revolt occur, viz. taxing provinces with a revolt marker (surprise!).

Bottom line is, the first time you "tax" (including for rice) a province, you get no revolt but you do get a revolt marker. From then on if you tax a province that has a marker, you get a revolt, but add more markers only IF the revolt is put down. If the revolt succeeds, the peasants content themselves by destroying all the buildings they can find, then go home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.