Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have a copy of Normandy 44 in my hands in two weeks (via trade), and now also have the opportunity to buy a copy of VCS Salerno at a decent price. I've started into the rules for Normandy and am moving some pieces around in solo efforts in the Vassal module, and am just diving into the first pages of VCS Salerno.

I'm curious what other wargamers think ... Of the two games, which would you think is easier to learn for this old grog and why?

Also, which of the two is more suited to solo play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Maciw
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salerno is just arriving in the UK this week so I haven't played that yet so I'm just going to answer the solo play question for Normandy 44.

I have played the short scenario of Normandy 44 solo a number times and would say it's really well suited to solo play. As the allied player, there is loads to do with the invasion, naval fire, paratroops and air support. As the Axis it's a much quicker turn as you have less units, not so many opportunities for a viable counter attack (except around Caen) and usually it's just a case of plugging holes and picking off the odd Allied unit.
What I do like is the divisional integrity rules, the ZOC bonds, the troop quality and armour support column shifts plus the max attack strength rules which stops combat factor counting. Also for solo play the desperate defense option always adds a degree of uncertainty about your attacks. Many times I've had the Axis stubbornly hold on to a vital hex despite being outnumbered. I'm just on turn 3 of Ardennes 44 solo, short scenario again, but so far I prefer Normandy 44.
Like you I'm keen to see any comparisons with Salerno and how the three map sections and different scales work together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Terry.

I used to own N´44 and soloed the campaign a handful of times. I liked it a lot for its beautiful components (stunning map!), the armor rules and the well applied chrome but it tended to play out a bit samey every time. It´s hard for the Germans to win but it´s an interesting challenge to try.

For an old Grog it shouldn´t be hard to learn, most of the concepts are Wargaming 101 material. It soloes well, the limited replayability put aside.

I sold it on because I had too many unplayed games and knew it was unlikely to hit the table in ftf play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Daniels
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Oldsin....N'44 is a pretty package, but it is still the normandy campaign, so once your through with the invasion fun, it turns into a grinding attrition battle that just doesn't do it for me. Can't comment on VCS Salerno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
La Plata
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VCS Salerno should be fairly simple to learn, just make sure you check the errata/Q&A thread on BGG (designer has been quite proactive about it), because there are a few issues as printed.

Overall though, it's a fairly standard IGOUGO, locking ZOC, move-attack-exploit game in the vein of SCS. The 2 different map scales takes some getting used to (2 different TECs to deal with), but the transit track system is a great solution to save time/map space. Hidden unit strengths in combination with a pretty unpredictable CRT give some uncertainty to solo and PtP play. CRT shifts are crucial though, be sure to make note of them before starting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy '44. Great system, very playable, lots of fun. Start here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what would be fun to have?

A system similar to that used in Normandy '44, but less focused on the beach landings (thus necessarily a bit more generic) and utilizing variable mapboards.

Hence you could recreate many different battles with it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normandy 44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Rosemead
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VCS Salerno for selfish reasons. I'd like to hear what an old grog thinks about this game to solo so I can see if I should get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.