Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan R
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to see if I should back this now on Kickstarter for $29 or is this the retail price and I'll be able to pick-up at CSI for $21 later.
Not into kickstater exclusive editions, just trying to strech my limited gaming dollars as much as possiable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jamey has gone on record stating that the Kickstarter price of his games are at a significant discount as an incentive and reward for backing the game early before it hits retail. So $29 won't be the retail price.

I'd venture to guess that retail will likely be $50, so the $29 price is likely to be a better deal than many of the online stores would offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan R wrote:
Trying to see if I should back this now on Kickstarter for $29 or is this the retail price and I'll be able to pick-up at CSI for $21 later.
Not into kickstater exclusive editions, just trying to strech my limited gaming dollars as much as possiable.

You can be sure that the MSRP will be higher than $29, likely significantly so.

If I remember correctly Jamey has stated that he has no MSRP to announce until he knows which stretch goals are reached, since a couple of them will add extra components to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, the MSRP will depend on the stretch goals and how many copies we print. It won't be $50, though. Probably $35 or $40.

We're basically offering the game on Kickstarter for $19 plus $10 shipping built in (plus minimal shipping fees to non-US areas). So even if the game ends up being $35 MSRP, I felt that the $19 price (pre-shipping) was the lowest we could go and would still be respectful to backers' wallets.

The special edition won't be available via distribution, so it won't officially have an MSRP, but the MSRP probably would be $50 for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

You can be sure that the MSRP will be higher than $29, likely significantly so.

Even if MSRP above $29 like you predicted and was later confirmed, OP is more interested in the online discount off MSRP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we have zero control over how various stores will discount the game. The only two things we have control over are (a) the KS price and (b) the MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$29 shipped is a ridiculous deal for this game. I am glad I backed it...If I can convince the "holder of the money" I might be able to bounce to the $39

I am printing the pnp and will show it to her later this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gradman2k3 wrote:
$29 shipped is a ridiculous deal for this game.

But you could probably save a whole buck by staying out of the KS! It'll probably have a full retail price of $40, which will be discounted 30% down to $28 by CSI and the like.

All you have to do to save $1 is to spend an extra $72 to get free shipping, and wait a few extra weeks to get the game...

Andrew, being more ridiculous than serious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Marquis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gradman2k3 wrote:
$29 shipped is a ridiculous deal for this game.

It's a reasonable deal; If wholesale and MSRP work out to be like other Stonemaier titles, it's comparable to the deal you'd get from an online seller once the game hits retail.

Your real choice is whether or not advancing them the money via KickStarter is worth getting it at your door early. For me it was, I know if I wait I'll be waiting not for retail but my next free shipping CSI order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Yeah, we have zero control over how various stores will discount the game. The only two things we have control over are (a) the KS price and (b) the MSRP.

Thanks alot Jamey for confirming.
I have actually backed your some of your other games on kickstarter before because The MSRP was listed and it was clear a decent deal was to be had.
Since I couldn't find the MSRP for Between Two Cities I was wondering if there was no deal at all.
Now that I know I will be ordering a copy on Kickstarter, I don't mind paying a dollar or two more. It was just the though of pay 30% more for the same item that was bothering me.
Thanks
Alan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan: Good point. I didn't list it on this Kickstarter because I wasn't sure exactly what the MSRP would be. I'll try to iron that out in the future if I can know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Considering it basically has the same components as Carcassonne and that MSRP is $35, I'm assuming this game will MSRP for $35.

Meaning CSI will have it for ~$24 when it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Considering it basically has the same components as Carcassonne and that MSRP is $35, I'm assuming this game will MSRP for $35.

I'm not sure how similar B2C and Carc will be in terms of components. B2C has more tiles than Carc; some of B2C's tiles are double-size. Carc has more wooden bits. It is likely that B2C will include cards: this depends on stretch goals. I don't think that anyone has seen the final B2C components.

I am sure that B2C and Carc are very dissimilar in terms of economies of scale. I hope that B2C will sell many thousands of copies, and have multiple expansions. But if it is a tenth of the commercial hit that Carc has been, I think that all on team B2C will be wildly delighted.

If Stonemaier ship the game I expect them to ship (in terms of what's in the box, and of component quality) at $35 retail, I'll be impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:

Cost price is significantly impacted by scales of economy. Carc print hundreds of thousands vs small publisher printing a few thousand. This makes a big difference to the msrp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I understand economies of scale. But if this game wants to compete in the market a $35 MSRP is what I would expect. $40 wouldn't surprise me either considering board game prices have give up a little in the past few years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan R wrote:

I'm not yet sure what the retail price will be.

But I do know that the preorder price is $33, which includes $10 toward shipping. That sounds like $4 over the Kickstarter price. I think that Jamey has likened Kickstarter to an "early bird preorder". So backers/early birds got a $4 price break ($29 rather than $33).

The same link tells us that Stonemaier will be selling any copies of the Special Edition remaining after the Kickstarter for $50. OP Alan, I know that you're not interested in this edition, but I add this here for anyone who is.

Happy city planning!
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like $35 on MM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP is indeed $35 for the regular version, $50 for the special edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I bet right, what'd I win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
$35 is for the special edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$35 is the MSRP for the retail version. $50 is the MSRP for the special edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
$35 is for the special edition

If you're gonna argue with someone over the price, the publisher of the game is probably the wrong guy to do it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is what I was going off of--the MSRP lists $50 but they're selling for $35

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus shipping, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct--I think the KS had shipping included, so overall the KS was definitely the way to go.

I missed out on this one, so I am glad to snag a Special Edition somehow. I did get to play during GenCon, and thought it was amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.