Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Playing auction games better? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate auction games only because I can't get a handle on bidding the best way. I know, don't play them then. I just want to get better. Is there anyone out there that can offer me any wisdom on this subject
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Burk
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Specific strategies change from game to game, depending on what the function of the auction is.

However, in general, it is best to go into an auction phase of a game keeping in mind whatever your overall strategy for the game is. It can get pretty math-y from time to time, but ask yourself these questions:

1) What is my overall strategy?
2) Given my strategy, what should I prioritize (as it relates to the auction)?
3) What would be the ideal cost-to-benefit ratio?
4) Finally, if all else fails, what is the most I can possibly spend without ruining my plans for this turn and the turn after it?

Hopefully this will help a little...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction games can take a few plays to get a handle on making accurate evaluations. Don't beat yourself up too much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction games for me come down to figuring out who the overbidding moron at the table is and making sure he doesn't take you down with him.

Pete (does well at auction games)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
I hate auction games only because I can't get a handle on bidding the best way. I know, don't play them then. I just want to get better. Is there anyone out there that can offer me any wisdom on this subject


For one thing, knowledge of the deck of things being bid on helps. For example, in For Sale, once you have memorized all the house numbers 1-30 and all the checks $0-15k then you have a better idea of the valuation of any single check. For example, you'll know that 30 is the best and that 15k's are the best checks etc. This is a basic example, but you catch my drift: more plays = better at evaluating cost. So keep in mind what is in the deck, what is coming, and what players have what auction items already.

Another tip is that everything in a game is relative. If you just blew all your money on that number 30 and I won the number 29 for a single dollar, then you just got ripped off, big time. In contrast, if you win the 30 for half your money and I spent a dollar on the number 4, then maybe you weren't ripped off and made a good deal. So keep in mind the relative value of items when you're bidding and don't overbid if what you win won't give you a large advantage.

In general, the strategy of auction games is to buy low but push others' prices up high. Conservative is generally better early on when everyone has cash, then using a lot more money is better later on towards the end to clinch the items you need for victory. So keep in mind pushing others' prices up while conserving your own money and winning only the minimal things needed to hold the advantage.

Lastly, try to sick other players on each other. Convince them when one player is in the lead and when "We can't afford to let that player win this auction". Sometimes it'll come down to a game of chicken, but keep in mind that player negotiation is important in these games.

Overall, more plays will improve your strategy. Good luck, and have fun!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Auction games for me come down to figuring out who the overbidding moron at the table is and making sure he doesn't take you down with him.

Pete (does well at auction games)
I am one of those morons whose trying to break that habit
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
keso55 wrote:
I hate auction games only because I can't get a handle on bidding the best way. I know, don't play them then. I just want to get better. Is there anyone out there that can offer me any wisdom on this subject


For one thing, knowledge of the deck of things being bid on helps. For example, in For Sale, once you have memorized all the house numbers 1-30 and all the checks $0-15k then you have a better idea of the valuation of any single check. For example, you'll know that 30 is the best and that 15k's are the best checks etc. This is a basic example, but you catch my drift: more plays = better at evaluating cost. So keep in mind what is in the deck, what is coming, and what players have what auction items already.

Another tip is that everything in a game is relative. If you just blew all your money on that number 30 and I won the number 29 for a single dollar, then you just got ripped off, big time. In contrast, if you win the 30 for half your money and I spent a dollar on the number 4, then maybe you weren't ripped off and made a good deal. So keep in mind the relative value of items when you're bidding and don't overbid if what you win won't give you a large advantage.

In general, the strategy of auction games is to buy low but push others' prices up high. Conservative is generally better early on when everyone has cash, then using a lot more money is better later on towards the end to clinch the items you need for victory. So keep in mind pushing others' prices up while conserving your own money and winning only the minimal things needed to hold the advantage.

Lastly, try to sick other players on each other. Convince them when one player is in the lead and when "We can't afford to let that player win this auction". Sometimes it'll come down to a game of chicken, but keep in mind that player negotiation is important in these games.

Overall, more plays will improve your strategy. Good luck, and have fun!
Great advice
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice from everyone. THANKS TO ALL
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.