David Taylor
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Crisis Pack 2 presents another opportunity for the Super Heroes to work in a cooperative manner to resolve Crises and stop the Super-Villains.

Contents:
In the box, there are 6 new Super Heroes for use in competitive play or for Crisis Mode. There are also 8 Crisis Mode Super Heroes taken from the Heroes Unite set, giving 14 Super Heroes total in the box. There are also 15 Impossible Super-Villains, including 1 Crisis-Only Super-Villain just like in Crisis Expansion Pack 1. There are 15 Crisis Cards and 31 new cards for the main deck. These cards are all marked Crisis 2 so they can be removed easily from the deck. There are also 4 Heroes Unite replacement cards that resolve some errata concerning Kyle Rayner and Plastic Man. These cards have the corrected text and the old cards should be removed and destroyed.

1st Time Playthrough:

I decided to give this game a run-through in solo crisis mode. In the rulebook, there are special rules for resolving certain Crisis Cards when playing in solo mode.
I played the full game for 1 player which is 13 Super-Villains and 13 Crisis Cards. There is now an explanation in the rules to make a shorter game. I used the Crisis Expansion Pack 2 with the Heroes Unite Set. Game play is the same as the previous Crisis Expansion where there must be no villains in the line-up before a Crisis can be defeated, and the Crisis must be defeated before the Super-Villain can be defeated. I did manage to beat the Crises and defeat all of the Super-Villains without coming close to going through the main deck, but it was no easy chore and the game play came in at around 2 hours to play through the entire game.

First Impression:

I find playing the Crisis expansion a nice departure from the competitive nature of the base game. And having a solitaire mode is something that I was glad to see. The Crisis Cards in this 2nd Expansion present some good challenges and some surprises as well. In the cards I played with, the game made use of many of the destroyed cards and also some of the unused cards as well. This adds some extra twists to the game, bringing into play cards that at first were not used. There are some brutal Crises in this pack. With the solo mode, rather than relying on other players to defeat certain Crises, a player can find cards in his/her discard pile. Playing solo mode, I found the super-villains overall,not too difficult to defeat, since I had the option to buy every card that made it's way into the lineup, thus making my deck pretty powerful. However, Mr. Freeze I thought was the most difficult to beat since his ongoing stack ability is that you can play no more than 4 cards on your turn. I had several locations in play that allowed me to cycle through my deck and draw additional cards, thus expanding the combos I could make each turn with my cards I put into play. In playing the game, there is a typical curve in the game play, where the initial start to the game is slow, but later on the hands of cards can generate a lot of power. The Power Rings are very powerful in solo mode, since you can potentially get them all, and there are 2 new power rings that come with this set.

I was glad to see that there are 2 pages in the rule book that give clarifications to a number of cards in this expansion, eliminating questions on what the card effects are.

I did think playing the full game took a long time and at some points, the game seemed to drag since that current Crisis was difficult to defeat and it took several turns to beat it. I think for future solo plays I will decrease the deck size to 100 cards and have only 3 Crisis and Super-Villain cards.

Based upon this initial play, I think this expansion will be best suited for the Heroes Unite Set, especially with the Power Rings, however it would be interesting to give it a try using the Forever Evil set or even the original set. Although the game does have a solo mode, I think, like the first Crisis Expansion, it plays best with 3 or 4 players. I am a fan of the first Crisis Expansion, but I think I like this one better, due to the twists and surprises it offered the first time through.

If you are a fan of the first Crisis Expansion, then this one may well be worth your consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. Been looking forward to this one for a while. How much does the Blackest Night storyline come into play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For more challenge I'd suggest ignoring the change to Hunting Down the Lanterns, Manhunter Invasion, Missing Heroes, and Rise of the Dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.