Subject: Heretical Proposal-Releasing Complete Core Rules Online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Alexius Exfalso
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Dearly Beloved in ASL:

Now, here's a thought: how about releasing a pdf of chapters A,B,C & D of the now out of print, superceded 1st edition ASL rule book online, for free?

Things to consider:

Much of the material is already on there, in the form of player's aides, cheat-sheets, FAQ, examples of play and forum discussions. If you've the will and the patience, you can assemble the pieces for yourself, and fill the gaps through inference and inspiration. In so far as that is true, the cat is already out of the bag.

Releasing the core 1st edition rules would not, I believe, significently impact sales of the 2nd edition or starters kits. The complete rule book is desirable in itself, and players wishing to play face to face (in real life or online) will probably have to acquire it anyway. Likewise, the componants and scenarios in the starters kits are an end unto themselves, as is the reduced rules package, which many may well prefer as an entry point. The pdf would be there as a bridge between the starters kits and full rules book.

Moreover, having the core rules freely available online will render the game more accessible, and contribute to more informed discussion. The curious may examine them before taking the plunge, and they may be referred to by the initiated and uninitiated alike during online debates; being able to actually link through to the relevent rule during a discussion must surely be a plus.

I understand the copyright issues involved, and the reluctance MMP may feel about such a move; however, I honestly believe it would pay off in the long term.

Wouldn't it be nice, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This has been discussed at the ASL forums repeatedly. And MMP have always said they won't.

I still think it's a good idea though, for the players, if not MMP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexius Exfalso
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've come across discussions were the idea of online 'living' rules were mooted and all hopes dashed; it seems to me that a release of the basics with the rest of the goodies left dangling as bait is a different path to take.

I don't think GMT have been damaged taking the 'living' rules approach to their products; on the contrary, I am sure they have benefited.

The core rules are already out there on the net anyway; official sanction to scan and post the actual chapters would be an acknowledgement of the actual state of play and a great help to those who would like to taste what the game has to offer but are unwilling to take the plunge without reassurance, given the system's arcane reputation.

I think you are right - MMP are very unlikely to change their stance, but they risk appearing a little Canute-like. Sooner or later, the material already in the public domain will be compiled, edited and spread across the aether; they may as well be the ones to do it. Long term, theirs is the profit to reap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Alexius Exfalso wrote:
Now, here's a thought: how about releasing a pdf of chapters A,B,C & D of the now out of print, superceded 1st edition ASL rule book online, for free?

I'm not sure that there's anything left of the 1st edition that could be released as a PDF. That sad fact is probably what made the 2nd edition necessary: creating a whole new version was likely the only way to get the rulebook back into print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alexiusexfalso wrote:
Sooner or later, the material already in the public domain will be compiled, edited and spread across the aether

I can say with certainty that this has already been done. There are versions of electronic 2nd Edition rulebooks in multiple formats floating around, or so I am told. Still, the rulebook in electronic form would only be useful for study. You still need a printed version to look up rules during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.