Hide
4 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo / Co-Op Rules - Super-Simple Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Tsai
msg tools
Inspired by all the great variants this forum already came up with, I wanted to try something that's as simple as possible (so my little brain wouldn't have to remember too many game or card rule changes) but still entertaining. After many rounds of experimentation, I think I stumbled on something that works for both solo and co-op play.

Please note that I only have the base set right now, so that's my starting point. Set up and play as normal, with the following modifications:

Setup

- Choose the Super Hero of your choice
- Use Ra's al Ghul + 3 random Super-Villains (adjust to taste)

Play

- At the start of each turn, destroy a Weakness card from its stack
- Super-Villains may only be attacked when there are no Villains in the Line-Up
- When a Villain or Super-Villain is defeated, the player may either add it to their cards as usual or destroy it
- After each turn is over, instead of refilling the Line-Up, add the top card of the main deck to the Line-Up (like the Crisis Mode rule)
- When adding a new card to the Line-Up after a turn, if it's a Villain with an Attack, resolve the attack against all players while ignoring benefits (like the "On Patrol" rule)

Endgame

- If you run out of Weakness cards before all Super-Villains are defeated, you lose!
- If all Super-Villains are defeated before you run out of Weakness cards, you win!

That's it!

When playing solo, a few cards (Brainiac and The Joker come to mind) have rules that don't make sense because there are no foes. I just ignore those rules, but feel free to house-rule, remove those cards, etc.

I skimmed some online lists for Crisis Expansion 1, and I think the non-Crisis Super Heroes and main deck cards could work here, but that's just a guess. The Crisis Super Heroes and Impossible Super-Villains may work too with some tweaks, but it's probably simpler to just house-rule Crisis Mode instead. No idea at all about the other expansions/sets.

Please feel free to try this out and let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robot romeo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like a solo Crisis game, that's pretty cool. Nice work, I have to give this a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this with Forever Evil this afternoon, and it was a really nice change for solo play, thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Tsai
msg tools
Thanks for the positive feedback

After some more co-op sessions, I realized that things were a little too easy. Edited the OP with a few tweaks:

- destroy a Weakness card at the start of each turn, instead of only at the start of each turn for the first player
- when resolving Villain attacks, do so against all players instead of only against the player whose turn just ended

Also tried to make it more clear that Villain attacks only happen at the end of turns (they do not happen during setup).

Once again, I tip my hat to everyone who have posted variants on this board. Thanks for all your great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.