Pandemic: State of Emergency» Forums » General

Subject: Hinterlands question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a particular reason why the Blue & Yellow diseases each have 4 and the red & black each have 5 cities directly affected by the die roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
Is there a particular reason why the Blue & Yellow diseases each have 4 and the red & black each have 5 cities directly affected by the die roll?

those cities are not *directly* affected by the die
the only areas directly affected by the die roll are the hinterlands spaces, of which there are a total of 4 - one in each color
and the cities you mention (the ones with transparent disks on them) connect to the hinterlands spaces

do you mean to ask why the blue & yellow hinterlands each connect to 4 cities and the black & red hinterlands each connect to 5 cities (instead of a different number)?
if so, then pardon my saying this, but it seems rather an odd question to ask.
you could ask that of any city
why does Santiago only have 1 connection?
why does hong kong have 6?
still its not a terrible question
I cant say im not curious how gameplay would vary if one hinterlands space connected to 3 cities, one connected to 4, one to 5, and another to 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:

They're not blue and yellow... They're white and gold.

My apologies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
keckles wrote:
Broadstorm wrote:

those cities are not *directly* affected by the die
the only areas directly affected by the die roll are the hinterlands spaces, of which there are a total of 4

joekeck is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are just treated like cities for connections, then yes, I understand that they will connect to different numbers of cities. I have been going by what I have seen and heard which has not been much. I may have misinterpreted something in one of the brief videos. Are these spaces just like cities in that they get up to 3 cubes & then outbreak to the connected cities? Can they get cubes from a connected city getting an outbreak? The blue 1 is what is really throwing me off given that it connects to cities so far apart while not connecting to cities in between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The rules are online at Z-Man's site, if you want to read them. My SoE designer preview appears on Monday, so I'd rather not explain things twice.

The connections reflect theme. The blue Hinterlands board shows a cow. Mad Cow Disease has appeared in England and could affect the American West and South (many people think of cattle herding as a Western thing, but cattle ranching in the Americas originated in Florida and is still practiced there today). It is unlikely to spread directly to, say, New York or Washington, DC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
Are these spaces just like cities in that they get up to 3 cubes & then outbreak to the connected cities? Can they get cubes from a connected city getting an outbreak?

yes and yes
rules are here: http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Pandemic_SOE.pdf
a forum I started about the rules is here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1328558/rules-questions-clar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
keckles wrote:
why does Santiago only have 1 connection?
why does hong kong have 6?

actually with the hinterlands, hong kong will have 7 connections!! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.