Eph Five
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
Hi All,

I started a series of board game reviews this past week I'm calling Scrappy Reviews. I'm not going to give any background as I hope that they speak for themselves (and each is less than a 5 minute investment for a viewer).

Please have a look see at any of my reviews... Being super new to this, I'm still improving (among other things, the audio).

Argent, The Consortium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9szq8lGl4M
Welcome to Walnut Grove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4zX93d-BnY
Mermaid Rain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehu_skcNXE

Input is both welcome and appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should start Crappy Reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched your review of Argent: The Consortium, and I liked it!

It's concise, easy to follow, and gives me just the info I really want to know about whether or not a game might be for me.

thumbsup the notepad illustrations...it works!

thumbsup the length of the review...ideal for just what I want to know.

thumbsup it's different...this will keep it interesting. I will want to check out your reviews on other games that interest me.

Not that you need to change anything, but whether you do or don't enjoy a game, I would like to know why...what you like least or most about the game.

I'll be looking for more of Scrappy Reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eph Five
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm a writer by trade, but this is my first attempt at reviewing board games... so I'm still getting my sea legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job. I love the graphics and the length is perfect. I'd much rather watch this than a dice tower review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched your Walnut Grove review and enjoyed the style, brevity, and clearness of the presentation. Adding some graphics from the actual game would better help me draw a connection between the substance of the video and the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice take!
May I ask which type of mic you are using? I would suggest a more dynamic mic (to reduce on background noise and ambience).
It's a picky issue (I'm watching with mixing headphones) but a good job none the less!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the Mermaid Rain review, which echoed a lot of my thoughts about the game. My criticism is that I can't see myself consistently watching reviews of games in which the games themselves are not shown. Showing what the game will look like and what the component quality will be is key to a review, and this is squarely missing in these reviews.

Pete (thinks a picture really is worth a thousand words)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
My criticism is that I can't see myself consistently watching reviews of games in which the games themselves are not shown. Showing what the game will look like and what the component quality will be is key to a review, and this is squarely missing in these reviews.

I agree, but I think in lieu of showing a board game on a table, he can occasionally incorporate real game pieces onto his notepad. The sketches are very endearing, and add a unique element to the reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
... Showing what the game will look like and what the component quality will be is key to a review, and this is squarely missing in these reviews.

If you don't mind, I would like to share my take on pictures. There are already many sources to view the actual components of a game. BGG has pictures, and most video reviews already spend time showing the components whether through gameplay or just 'out of the box'.

In any case, I see no need to add what the components may look like because 'Scrappy Reviews' will not be my sole form of information on a game, and I venture to suppose it will not be the sole source of info for anyone. I like the current format for what it is, it gives information in a quick but very entertaining way that I find pleasant and inviting.

I like the format so much, I would watch it even if I already had the game, just to see how it is played out on 'the notepad', (and of course, to hear the opinion of the reviewer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eph Five
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks. Admittedly, the first two I recorded the mic on my gaming headset... but thanks to a musician friend, I've now gotten my hands on a professional grade condenser mic far nicer than anything I deserve to have my amateur hands on.

So the sound in the Mermaid Rain video is a bit lower but far, far cleaner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.