Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my flight was canceled Friday morning and I cannot get another flight until Sunday night.

Are there any game stores that are a short taxi ride from the airport that have live board gaming on Saturdays? Would love to get a game of 1862 (or really any non-flight-related game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to get to Area 51 in Grapevine (north of airport). I know Generation X is towards the south but they seemed to have more limited gaming space. Roll2Play in Coppell isn't too far, either, but further than Area 51. Check all before trying to get out, though. There could be delayed openings and I'm not sure what the gaming scene actually will be at any of them. I know Madness Games and Comics in Plano has a large Saturday board gaming turnout, but that would likely kill your travel budget to take a cab there.

Both Roll2Play and Area 51 have a reasonable board gaming library to use while there. I don't recall 1862 in either of them, but you should be able to find something that doesn't involve flying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be worth posting to the Madness threads to see if anyone drives past the airport on Saturday nights and could give you a lift. That would give you another option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
You should be able to get to Area 51 in Grapevine (north of airport). I know Generation X is towards the south but they seemed to have more limited gaming space. Roll2Play in Coppell isn't too far, either, but further than Area 51. Check all before trying to get out, though. There could be delayed openings and I'm not sure what the gaming scene actually will be at any of them. I know Madness Games and Comics in Plano has a large Saturday board gaming turnout, but that would likely kill your travel budget to take a cab there.

Both Roll2Play and Area 51 have a reasonable board gaming library to use while there. I don't recall 1862 in either of them, but you should be able to find something that doesn't involve flying.

Too funny. I am actually at a Hilton in Plano (Granite Park) right now. Perhaps that Plano store is not too far. I just need to get to the airport hotel by the end of the night so that I am ready to sit around in the terminal on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
It may be worth posting to the Madness threads to see if anyone drives past the airport on Saturday nights and could give you a lift. That would give you another option.

Would you mind posting a link to the threads that you are referencing? And if it would not be too much of an imposition, could you post the street address of the facility (so that I can tell the cabbie exactly where to go)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can make it to Madness at Custer and Parker, that's the best. Although a lot of us are staying away today due to the roads.

Edit: look here: https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/864
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked up where you are - take the cab to Madness on Saturday night and ask to join some of the board gamers. They typically start showing up around 4-6pm, but there may be some wargamers there earlier. Someone at the store probably has some idea of when the various groups normally start arriving. There are usually some people who bring a pretty good assortment of games. My (sadly only) time out there I got to play Innovation, Stone Age, and Takenoko before I had to leave. I lost all three, but enjoyed myself.

Madness does not have a game library - pretty much bring or buy, but they do have a huge board game selection. It's probably the largest board game (and comic) store in the area and attracts a pretty good crowd. If you look at their "what was played" posts for the last couple of weeks you can see the diversity. If your luggage permits, you can probably find something to bring home with you, too.

Of course, I'd plan on checking in late at the airport hotel if you hit Madness - they go up to closing time.

Have fun when you're there and hope you get home safely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
If you can make it to Madness at Custer and Parker, that's the best. Although a lot of us are staying away today due to the roads.

Edit: look here: https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/864

My plans may be dashed.

There is a reasonable chance that I can get a cab from the hotel (as they are running between the hotel and the airport), but there is a non-trivial percentage chance that I would not be able to get a cab back to the hotel. And while it is only a couple miles, I am not sure that I want to take the chance on walking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoamDog wrote:
My plans may be dashed.

There is a reasonable chance that I can get a cab from the hotel (as they are running between the hotel and the airport), but there is a non-trivial percentage chance that I would not be able to get a cab back to the hotel. And while it is only a couple miles, I am not sure that I want to take the chance on walking.

That's unfortunate. I'm a Saturday-night regular at Madness and I can attest to the fact that it is a fantastic place for gaming. Lots of friendly people and lots of games to play. Of course, with the chance of freezing rain tonight, myself and probably quite a few others won't make it out there, though I'm sure there will still be a fair share of folks who brave the storm.

Safe travels and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
RoamDog wrote:
My plans may be dashed.

That's unfortunate. I'm a Saturday-night regular at Madness and I can attest to the fact that it is a fantastic place for gaming. Lots of friendly people and lots of games to play. Of course, with the chance of freezing rain tonight, myself and probably quite a few others won't make it out there, though I'm sure there will still be a fair share of folks who brave the storm.

Safe travels and happy gaming!

If I had a rental car, I would risk it as the game store is close, but with the real possibility of not being able to get a cab to come retrieve me, I just do not think that I can take the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sheasby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand about the conditions. Wish I seen this thread earlier. We might (heavy on the might) have been able to arrange something.

The crowd did start off very small. A few brave (or crazy) folks showed up early for the wargaming session. (Yes, I was one of the few.) Road conditions in Plano weren't great, but not awful. (Not like the ice storm from December 2013.)

However, by noon/1:00 p.m., one would be hard pressed to know there was any winter weather out there. The store was quite packed. Amazing!

Hopefully the next time you are in town (without the wild weather), a trip up to Madness for Saturday gaming would be possible.

Have a safe flight back home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.