Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
What a wonderful week that was. However, it is now time for me to pass the torch on to a wonderful geek, one who contributes in a vastly different, but much more fun, way that I. The designer of several of my favorite games:

Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb

I became familiar with Vital after the publication of his first game, Vinhos, back in 2010. The game was a wonderfully heavy euro that forced the user to maximize his play through only a few actions. Right away I was impressed with the game, and intrigued by the mind of the designer.

As time progressed, I saw more games spawn from the mind of Vital, and loved each of them (CO₂, Kanban: Driver's Edition). He has an excellent mind for design, and I cannot wait to see what he comes up with in the future (The Gallerist next Vital?).

Without further ado, I introduce to you, Vital! Congratulations.

newrev wrote:
It was an honor to be invited by Ryan to be part of this group. He is one of the greatest reviewers of this great community. And yes, I love your work Ryan. So I could not refuse.

My name is Vital Lacerda, I born in Portugal and live in Oeiras, a small town near the capital of Portugal, Lisboa. Portugal is a beautiful country, with nice weather and a very diverse landscape. We have a beautiful and colorful countryside and a lot of great beaches with kms of white, clean sand and warm water. We have a high quality textile industry, wonderful mediterranean gastronomy, superb wine. Here you can find Fado, and a great nightlife to suit every taste.

And we are surrounded by culture; Portugal has monuments with a thousand years of history, the greatest adventurers and well known explorers, architects, engineers, writers, famous poets, painters, researchers, inventors, dancers, singers and football players. But we also have to deal with bad politics everyday, very high taxes, a huge unemployment rating, poverty and corruption, a lot of corruption. But in the end, the almost 900 years of history (Portugal was founded in 1139), have made the Portuguese tough fighters, great adventures, creatives and an innovative people. We are kind, welcoming, and great learners, listeners, and the inventors of the word, “desenrasca”, unique in the world, meaning that we always do what we have to do with the minimum resources, making us a huge community of MacGyvers’.

I live in Oeiras, in a small apartment near the beach, with the love of my life, Sandra, you may have heard of her once or twice, and two beautiful daughters, Inês and Catarina. They are everything to me. The three of them are my world and my main inspiration to design games. They are also playtesters of all my designs. We spend many hours discussing and tweaking things, I love it. Sandra is also a great heavy gamer (her favorite games are Die macher and Twilight Struggle) and I usually lose against her. We have been married for about 16 years now. Like me, she loves politics, music, photography, art and movies. So, we always have a lot to discuss around a glass of wine, which we both enjoy too.

Oeiras is also where the biggest portuguese Con takes place, and it is only a 10 minute walk from my home to attend. Its organized for the Lisboa Boargaming group, and it will run next week, 14th and 15th March. If you are in Portugal, come and play.

I also keen on extreme sports. I kitesurf and snowboard, and I was a runner for many years. I have a master’s degree in marketing and advertising, worked for almost 15 years in advertising agencies as an art director, and then made a leap of faith and tried my luck as a freelance graphic designer, which I have been doing for about 10 years now. This has earned me freedom to manage my own time, and allowed me to dedicate part of my working day to game design.

I’ve had a huge passion for games since I was a child and have played games all my life. I remember having a lot of them, from Monopoly and Risk, to Stratego, Petroleo, Bolsa, Obras de arte, and a few others from Portuguese game companies that unfortunately do not exist anymore, Majora and Kart. During my teens I spent some friday nights playing, we played everything we could find, from Magic, Yahtzee, Mahjong (I have a beautiful mahjong set all in bamboo and marfin, given by my parents who lived in china), to the most common trick taking card games, like Sueca, Hearts and King. I remember inventing a King variant to make it a 3-player game.

One night, bored with our games, I discovered BGG. My life turned around 180 degrees. In no time, I was joining boardgame groups, attending every Con I could, and running gaming nights at my house with lots of people. That was the time to discover all the Euro classics and the great designers of our time. Martin Wallace, Mac Gerdts, Reiner Knizia, Wolfgang Kramer, Chvatil and Feld.

Eager to place Portugal on the “map” of boardgaming, I started my adventure in this world by designing a Portugal map for Age of Steam, my favorite game at the time. I really enjoyed designing it, and my friends seemed to appreciate the effort. One year later, I was researching my first game, Vinhos. I remember very well my first playtest of Vinhos. Four guys around a table — our gaming group — all expectant to see what would happen. And, one hour later… nothing happened. The playtest did not even get past the setup. I remember that back then, Vinhos had more than 24 regions, and a lot of different types of grapes. No way that game could ever work! Apart from that false start, it was a very enjoyable evening, with lots and lots of laughs and comments, discussions and ideas. Really cool.

Right now, as a freelancer, I'm struggling to split my time between graphic design that pays my bills, and game design that makes me happy. But, my designs take a very long time to make, mainly because I cannot dedicate all the time I need to them during day. And they are aimed at a very small group of players. But I both breath and dream game design. I dream mechanics, new themes, strategies, balancing, and I have the dream of sometime in the future, to be a full time designer, to work on it all day, to discuss ideas with great people, and if I get there sometime, I will thank all of you who believed, worked, played and enjoyed my games.

I have a plan. I’m following it, It takes time, but I’m driven by passion, and very, very motivated.

Vital

And, to follow that up, lets get the two truths and a lie:

Poll
Two truths and a lie. Find the lie:
1. Once during a kitesurf session, while jumping I land over a boat with 2 fisherman inside.
2. Once, a few friends and I, we jumped from a chopper during a snowboard trip to GrandValira. A few moments later we were surfing downhill at full speed to run away from a small avalanche created by our landing.
3. During a trip to Thailand, I went inside a crocodiles pit to took a picture with one. The crocodile was sleeping at least it seems to be...
      203 answers
Poll created by slaqr

And to end it all up, my few questions to get the ball rolling:

1) Do you think you'll be making it to any conventions in the US this year?
2) What is your favorite of your own designs, and why?
3) Who is your biggest influence in terms of game design?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Vital!

Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Vital! You truly deserve it! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congratz Vital! one question please: will you ever stop designing games and why, or why not?

i dont mean to be rude or else, just suddenly it popped into my head

that was supposed to be one question, wasnt it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Vital. Enjoy your week.

Remember we have work to do this week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Vital! Board games and extreme sports, I like the combination.

1 I play mostly 2p games with my wife. What are a few of your favorite 2-player games?

2 What 2-3 new euros are you most excited about?

3 As a runner, do you have a favorite distance?

4 As an enthusiast of extreme sport, what feat would you like to try?

meeple Keep playing (and enjoying your week in the spotlight)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Questions:

d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2015?
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congratulations, Vital. I'm actually surprised you weren't nominated previously! Love your designs...the more immersive, the better.

1. Favorite port wine?
2. Sport/activity you haven't tried yet that you'd most like to?
3. If you could make one suggestion to make BGG an even better site, what would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?

Ah, you beat me to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Vital! Enjoy your well deserved week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Vital
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy smokes, congrats Vital. I almost hesitate to ask you anything, lest it take away from design time. Truly a great designer. You and Wallace are the only designers who fall into the pantheon of auto-purchase, for me.

I was going to ask if you had a particular boss in mind, when designing Mean Sandra, but I didn't realize your wife shared the same name. Does she more resent or relish the character "Mean Sandra"? (feel free not to answer )

My usual questions:

What was the biggest screw you moment you have had, in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination therein.

If you could say one thing, in this world, that is true, what would it be?

If you had to live in either perpetual darkness, or perpetual light; which would you choose?

What is the most money you have frittered away, in the shortest amount of time?

If you had to participate in an eating competition, what would be your food of choice?

Who is your favorite Batman villain?

Do you have a favorite BGG post? Either yours or another person’s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
new reviews: Bargain Hunter, Sushi Go
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story of talent finding its way into the hobby.

Speaking of explorers, what is your favorite game about the Age of Exploration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Vital!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mb
Congratulations!!
I love Vinhos and Kanban!!!
And I want "The Gallerist" !
And who knows what else you are coming up with ......

Question:
What is your favourite time of day and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
BE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheerio, Vital!

Keep on the good work to enrichen the Boardgameworld!!

Myself is getting more and more into game design... as well inspired by some of your games.

Question?
Whats your game of the Year and why (if its Kanban, its to easy laugh)?

Enjoy the Week

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Vitoria
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Vital Lacerda!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Vital. Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CongratulationsblankVitalblank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WRS WRS
Poland
Ropczyce
Podkarpacie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Vital. :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Vital!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! It is a well deserved award - you make some awesome games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions:

1) How much time do you spend on BGG each day/week?

2) What is your favorite feature on BGG?

3) What is the worst game you have played?

4) Will you continue designing heavy eurogames, or could you see yourself designing lighter games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Vital!

Have a wonderful week!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:

And to end it all up, my few questions to get the ball rolling:

1) Do you think you'll be making it to any conventions in the US this year?
2) What is your favorite of your own designs, and why?
3) Who is your biggest influence in terms of game design?

Enjoy your week!

Hi Ryan, thank you so much for your invitation, its an honnor to me to be part on such event from this amazing comunity. Sorry by only show up so late, but had been playtestimg all day and all night.

About your questions, here it go:

1) I wish, and I would love to, be in Gen Con or BGG Con, but travel to America is very expensive to me right now. I hope I can, some day. During my time here in BGG, I meet so many great Americans, soIi'm sure I will some day, just not next year.

2) well i usualy say that my favorite is my next design. And i hope so it is. So my favorite right now is The Gallerist.

3) that is an easy one, Martin Wallace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.