John Hren
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I understand that if a unit's LOS crosses a crest before it crosses a hexside, there is a LOS to a unit at a lower level. What about if the upper level unit is more than one hex back? How far away does a lower level unit have to be to have LOS to an upper level unit at any given point away from a crest?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
audiemurphy67 wrote:
I understand that if a unit's LOS crosses a crest before it crosses a hexside, there is a LOS to a unit at a lower level. What about if the upper level unit is more than one hex back? How far away does a lower level unit have to be to have LOS to an upper level unit at any given point away from a crest?


rules wrote:
24.512 Vertical LOS—A unit may only trace a LOS into the
initial Crest hex of each level above it.

This rule seems pretty clear and absolute: I can't see any way a LOS would exist between a lower level unit and an upper level unit which is more than one hex back from the crest line.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give me an example of this on the FF map somewhere? The specific hexes in question?

Normally I'd immediately say it's not possible BUT I haven't examined the map for some weirdness like an oddly shaped curve in a crest line or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aardvarkius wrote:
Can you give me an example of this on the FF map somewhere? The specific hexes in question?

Normally I'd immediately say it's not possible BUT I haven't examined the map for some weirdness like an oddly shaped curve in a crest line or something.

This map has plenty of such examples:

E.g. consider the middle of the 3 red objective hexes on the hill. Consider an attempted LOS going southwest from it (through the word "Cemetery", or hmm, is it misspelled "Cemetary"?), to lower hexes. That LOS is blocked (since the unit is a hex back from the crest line) no matter how far away the lower unit is along that line going southwest from the middle red hex.

(Of course the hex on the same top level, immediately adjacent to it on its southwest side, has clear LOS.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Aardvarkius wrote:
Can you give me an example of this on the FF map somewhere? The specific hexes in question?

Normally I'd immediately say it's not possible BUT I haven't examined the map for some weirdness like an oddly shaped curve in a crest line or something.

This map has plenty of such examples:

E.g. consider the middle of the 3 red objective hexes on the hill. Consider an attempted LOS going southwest from it (through the word "Cemetery", or hmm, is it misspelled "Cemetary"?), to lower hexes. That LOS is blocked (since the unit is a hex back from the crest line) no matter how far away the lower unit is along that line going southwest from the middle red hex.

(Of course the hex on the same top level, immediately adjacent to it on its southwest side, has clear LOS.)


I don't see anything on the map that is really questionable. My thought was you had some weird terrain feature where the crest line did some odd curving around such that it might be in doubt - like a u-shape with the bottom of the u-shape facing uphill such that you could kinda' shoot through the u-shape if that makes any sense at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aardvarkius wrote:
I don't see anything on the map that is really questionable.

I'm not sure if we are understanding each other; I totally agree that there is nothing questionable here. The rules seem quite clear to me.

I was just answering your question of what sort of example (I believe) the OP was talking about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.