Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game was much easier and than I expected. Dear god does this take up an unholy amount of space on the table, but I have a mod to fix that. I forgot I hadn't told my opponent he couldn't have more than 2 of the same kind of mage so he had 3 purple throughout the game. Rounds were fairly quick and in the end I won by 1 vote. Which is more to luck than anything. My opponent had more vault,gold, mana than me. Luckily those were the consortium cards in play. Couple of questions came up though.

1.I placed a purple mage then I cast a spell that let me wound an opponent and place a mage. So I placed a red mage. Then because It was my main action I get to place a gray mage. Is that correct? Is it possible to chain like that and place 3 mages?

2. Is the B-side infirmary over powered in a 2 player game (which is what rules recommend)?

Every time I wounded my opponent he was getting 4 gold and getting piece back to place again (due to a vault card and/or the tower card). If I wounded 2 of his guys that would be 8 gold a round which is huge. And while he's perhaps losing the slot he wanted, most likely the character is purple, red, or gray he can potentially play 2 of them back immediately and take back the spot.
I am in no way saying the tile is broken. It could very well be my inexperience playing, but it felt like I was better off losing slot than giving an opponent 8 gold per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
1) Yes, but with a caveat. You only get to use a mage's special ability when placing it as part of your normal action. If a spell or vault card tells you to "place a mage" then you don't get to use its ability. So you were completely right to place three mages in a turn that way, but you couldn't have used the red mage's ability. (It sounds like you didn't, though; you just used the effect of the spell to wound the opponent.)

2) Can't say; I've never played 2-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, that's right!

2. I've only played 2p once, and it seemed like Infirmary-B was good *but* the fact that each player only had one other target for their attack spells made the impact of those attack spells much bigger. So it seemed to balance out. (I wounded one of my own mages once, because getting 8 gold and letting me later wound an enemy mage without giving my opponent 8 gold seemed like a good deal. But I didn't do it again because it wasn't actually that great.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
grasa_total wrote:
1. Yes, that's right!

2. I've only played 2p once, and it seemed like Infirmary-B was good *but* the fact that each player only had one other target for their attack spells made the impact of those attack spells much bigger. So it seemed to balance out. (I wounded one of my own mages once, because getting 8 gold and letting me later wound an enemy mage without giving my opponent 8 gold seemed like a good deal. But I didn't do it again because it wasn't actually that great.)

I thought you didn't get the infirmary bonus when wounding yourself. Or are you referring to a different ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you don't get benefit for wounding your own mages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:

Every time I wounded my opponent he was getting 4 gold and getting piece back to place again (due to a vault card and/or the tower card). If I wounded 2 of his guys that would be 8 gold a round which is huge.

This may be due to additional effects that you have not listed but in case its not, the 4 gold space on Infirmary B can only be claimed by 1 mage. Not multiple mages, just like every other room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
I thought you didn't get the infirmary bonus when wounding yourself. Or are you referring to a different ability?

No, I must have been playing that wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:

Every time I wounded my opponent he was getting 4 gold and getting piece back to place again (due to a vault card and/or the tower card). And while he's perhaps losing the slot he wanted, most likely the character is purple, red, or gray he can potentially play 2 of them back immediately and take back the spot.

how is he getting his mages back? a healing effect would place them on a spot (so no powers).

wounded grey and purple mages cannot use their ability to be played fast or when casting a spell while they are in the infirmary.

mages in the infirmary in general cannot be placed at all, unless you have a healing effect that does so. you can normally only place mages that are in your office. so when you wound his mages he doesn't automatically get them back to place.

although I did miss the part about not getting a bonus when wounding your own mages lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
1) Yes, but with a caveat. You only get to use a mage's special ability when placing it as part of your normal action. If a spell or vault card tells you to "place a mage" then you don't get to use its ability. So you were completely right to place three mages in a turn that way, but you couldn't have used the red mage's ability. (It sounds like you didn't, though; you just used the effect of the spell to wound the opponent.)

IMO, this is an easy rule to overlook... I wonder if it would more or less complex to have a different term that means "place without resolving mage abilities."

I honestly probably would not have caught that rule if I hadn't pondered the balance of red mages in conjunction with spells. I specifically checked for that rule before our first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
shieldwolf wrote:

Every time I wounded my opponent he was getting 4 gold and getting piece back to place again (due to a vault card and/or the tower card). And while he's perhaps losing the slot he wanted, most likely the character is purple, red, or gray he can potentially play 2 of them back immediately and take back the spot.

how is he getting his mages back? a healing effect would place them on a spot (so no powers).

wounded grey and purple mages cannot use their ability to be played fast or when casting a spell while they are in the infirmary.

mages in the infirmary in general cannot be placed at all, unless you have a healing effect that does so. you can normally only place mages that are in your office. so when you wound his mages he doesn't automatically get them back to place.

although I did miss the part about not getting a bonus when wounding your own mages lol.

I wound his Mage. He goes to infirmary takes 4 gold. Heals with a vault effect. Now I wound another Mage 4 gold and he heals with bell tower or spell. He was getting more gold getting wounded then if I had left him on the gold spots and getting to replace. On a side note we played with too many bell tower cards 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
shieldwolf wrote:
I wound his Mage. He goes to infirmary takes 4 gold. Heals with a vault effect. Now I wound another Mage 4 gold and he heals with bell tower or spell. He was getting more gold getting wounded then if I had left him on the gold spots and getting to replace. On a side note we played with too many bell tower cards 5.

This can certainly be the case sometimes. If an opponent has multiple ways to defend against an effect (in this case, wounding), much of the time you're just better off not attacking him with that effect anymore. From what it sounds like, he had at least a couple of ways to heal his mages, so you probably should've just left them alone. This does make your red mages special much less effective, but remember that there's a significant opportunity cost your opponent had to pay just to defend against your red mages.

Alternatively, from the sound of it he's using fast actions/actions and not reactions, so you could wait until the round is just about to end and then wound his mages. Depending on exactly how he's healing his mages, it's going to take him time to put them back on the board, and you can end the round before them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.