BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Colt express wins game of the year in Cannes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, "Colt express" wins the coveted As d'or game of the year award. I haven't played it as of yet, but I find it interesting that both games that won the two major awards in Europe for 2014 ( Spiel des jahres / as D'or ) have a strong three dimensional element, ie the pyramid for one ( Camel Up )and a train for the latter.

I know that Camel Up has its haters on this forum, but I found it fascinating how the three dimensional element of having a pyramid as part of the game went down well with the teenagers I teach. Doubtless it will be the same for Colt Express.

In the long term, I'm wondering how these game parts will stand the test of time. My pyramid is already looking a little worse for wear. So, I'm wondering where we'll be in ten years' time. Is this just a passing fad, or is three dimensional the way to go ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like Colt Express very much at all. And the 3D element of it ends up being more of a hassle/inconvenience than a cool addition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'm wondering to what extent it's just a gimmicky fad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Colt Express is an OK game but I found it to be a slightly more convoluted version of the older game Montego Bay. Montego Bay did things a bit more streamlined (and not 3D) and is my personal preference out of the two.

I understand how Colt Express would have a wider appeal with all of its visual bells and whistles, but I'm quite surprised that it won game of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't heard of Montego Bay. Thanks for that. As with anything in life, bells and whistles in't what it's all about ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.