Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I love Yardmaster Express, but Yardmaster fell a little flat for us. So we came up with a variant to fix the problems we had with the game, namely that it was too slow to start and it could seriously slow down in the middle. We've played with this variant and we really like the game now. Hopefully it'll help others who've encountered the same issues.

Loco Motion Variant

Drawing Cards - The first time you use an action to draw a card, you draw 1. If you use your next action to draw, you draw 2. Thus, if you have a turn where you have 3 actions, you could draw 5 cards (1+2+2). This represents you brokering a good deal on a high volume of cargo as you focus your time on it.

Cycle Arrival Yard - This is a new action choice. You pick 1 card in the Arrival Yard and draw two cards from the rail deck. From those, you pick 1 to put back into the Arrival yard, 1 to put on top of the deck and 1 to put on the bottom of the deck. This represents trucking companies coming to pick up the cargo for delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Teague
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teaguejb wrote:
Interesting idea. Thanks for posting.

Thanks!

Next we're going to work on a different way to use the Bonus cards because we do not like how random they are, both in terms of how they can clog up your hand since they are in the cargo deck and also because their effect vary so much that they can get stuck in your hand for a long time with no use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Aramini
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry the game fell a little flat for you and your hubby! However, I'm glad to see you tinkering with some house rules to make it a more enjoyable play for you. I'd much prefer to hear about that rather than the game collect dust on your game shelf. The "draw a second cargo card if a repeat action" is really intriguing, and certainly would speed up those turns where you're just needing to beef up your hand with more cargo. I will have to give that variant a try! Thanks so much for the great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevenaramini wrote:
Sorry the game fell a little flat for you and your hubby! However, I'm glad to see you tinkering with some house rules to make it a more enjoyable play for you. I'd much prefer to hear about that rather than the game collect dust on your game shelf. The "draw a second cargo card if a repeat action" is really intriguing, and certainly would speed up those turns where you're just needing to beef up your hand with more cargo. I will have to give that variant a try! Thanks so much for the great idea.

Being game designers ourselves, it's hard not to tinker with something we don't like, especially when we want to like and enjoy the game. And we do like Yardmaster, it's just that we found ourselves drawing cards for the first 2-3 rounds. We didn't have the right cards to buy anything from the Arrival Yard, and the trade option is not very viable at the beginning.

So we're glad you like the idea and hope it works out for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sarah,

have you play tested your variant with different player counts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Hi Sarah,

have you play tested your variant with different player counts?

No, it's only been me and my husband so far. And from what I've heard of games with more players, the issues we had may not be a problem.

But if you can test it out with more players, I'd be really curious to hear how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Guernsey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. We played with the 'Draw 2 cards on 2nd draw' variant today. 2 player. Works really well. The game moves along quicker, and it also adds another interesting element to think about. We also used an 8 card hand limit (discarding any cards above the hand limit at end of turn) which combined really well with your variant.
P.s. We don't bother with the Yardmaster token. We just take alternating turns each; 2 actions per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! We hadn't decided on a hand limit, but I think we might try that next time. 8 sounds like a good amount.

The token is hard to keep track of. So are you saying that you just take 2 actions per turn and go back & forth like normal? That would simplify it if you don't have to do an extra action every other turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Guernsey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sarah. Yes that's exactly right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgisimo wrote:
Hi Sarah. Yes that's exactly right.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm gonna try that next time and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Guernsey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I'd be interested to hear how u get on with it. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgisimo wrote:
Cool. I'd be interested to hear how u get on with it. thumbsup

I'll make sure to come here and post. My husband is up for giving it a try as it would make it simpler to take your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.