Subject: More Rules Questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
- When carriers are repaired are lost AA points restored, or are they lost for good?
- Is Guadalcanal still considered an 'air source' for mission movement purposes if it has no more fuel? The definition of an 'air source' talks about 'an operable land air base with 3 steps of bomber or torpedo AC', but makes no mention of fuel
- Due to the air source effect on mission movement, in my first full game (standard scenario) I ended up with a bunch of Japanese forces stacked up 8 hexes out from Henderson Field for the entire game. Is that right? Am I doing something wrong here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Third point was my experience too in my last game but with Port Moresby. If I cremember correctly IJN Forces were stuck just passed the peninsula point and was impossible for them to proceed further toward the objective. Ok for USN but quite frustrating in term of realism. Maybe we are using Air Source rule wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes the night rule is clear. I have not the exact situation in mind now but the final result was that for the jap forces it was impossible to proceed further their objective anyway, neither go anywhere else. Maybe due to the contemporary effect of US TF and the rules about distance from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I found some comments here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12875892#12875892

I think also Air Strikes were not possible since TF were to far each other.

Now I remember also a problem with Jap Transports stuck in their way to the objective for the same reasons.

Anyway I will post something more detailed next time I will incur in the same situation.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
MrLEdge wrote:
Once a force is within 8 hexes of an air source, then you compare the mission movement die roll to the distance to the air source and ignore air source if further than die roll. Therefore, if Henderson Field was the nearest source stopping you from moving nearer, you would only be blocked from moving one hex nearer - measured by sea - if your mission movement die roll was 9 or 10.

I'm clear on that, the situation in question is when a Japanese force enters play outside of the range of an air source (in my case, Guadalcanal) It follows mission movement until it reaches the 8-hex air source boundary (dotted line on the map), and then cannot proceed, and units start to pile up there. Why, you ask? Because of rule 9.2 'Mission Movement' on p.24 under subheading 'effects of US Air Source on Mission Movement': "A force using mission movement never enters a hex containing a US air source during daylight. It stops in the adjacent hex."
I guess the rules are fairly clear, but seeing all those units strung out along the 8-hex line looked odd, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Tomlinson
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
If I'm following your logic, you are considering all hexes within the 8-hex range as "containing a US air source." However, the only hex which contains a US air source is the single hex housing the air base, or any hex occupied by a US carrier force. A Japanese force may move closer to said base or carrier force IF it rolls a low enough mission roll AND it is not engaged in retirement. Forces under retirement movement orders may not move closer to a US air source.

Playing the rule correctly and with good tactics, you may be able to delay Japanese forces around that 8-hex limit. However, you will not be able to stop them absolutely. Furthermore, they will rush forward at night. All this reflects the reluctance of vulnerable troop transports to subject themselves to air attack.

Does this help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The location of the charts doesn't matter. To be honest, I still have trouble finding the chart I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dirt2 wrote:
If I'm following your logic, you are considering all hexes within the 8-hex range as "containing a US air source." However, the only hex which contains a US air source is the single hex housing the air base, or any hex occupied by a US carrier force. A Japanese force may move closer to said base or carrier force IF it rolls a low enough mission roll AND it is not engaged in retirement. Forces under retirement movement orders may not move closer to a US air source.

Playing the rule correctly and with good tactics, you may be able to delay Japanese forces around that 8-hex limit. However, you will not be able to stop them absolutely. Furthermore, they will rush forward at night. All this reflects the reluctance of vulnerable troop transports to subject themselves to air attack.

Does this help?

Dan's got it right.

To add to his post, think of US Air Sources as only being effective during the day and only POSSIBLY being effective out to 8 hexes. The 'possibly' part depends on the Japanese Mission Movement roll. Lower rolls mean the US Air Source is not effective (at all) at that range (or greater) from the Airfield/CV TF. A Japanese Transport force that is 9 hexes from a US Air Source may NOT move inside the 8-hex range, unless the Japanese Mission Movement roll was 9 or 10.

This also means that all Japanese forces that are subject to Mission Movement are free to move as the sector's compass rows dictate. Even if those Japanese forces are affected by a US Air Source, they can possibly still move (by one of the other compass options), just no closer to the US Air Source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.