Popular Tags: WWI [+] [View All]
Steve Constantelos
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading a lot of reviews of WWI flying games, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which games feature rated historical pilots. Any hints for me? A game with historical aces AND solitaire possibilties would be great, but that may be asking too much...thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, not quite sure what you've found and already looked at, or exactly what it is you're after, but...

Blue Max has a range of historical aircraft, with the counters in authentic colour schemes (lovely artwork!) and details of the pilots who flew them in many cases (albeit just name, squadron/Jasta and number of victories). It features rules for aces, which could be adapted to special abilities. Make up your own scenarios, but with the planes available, it can be done (Brown & May vs Richtofen, Voss against the SE5s etc).

Also has a good fan base at www.youplay.it

Secondly, Wings of War. Again, the colour schemes and aircraft are authentic, and the designer has gone to a LOT of effort to check up pilots who flew them. Again, its really just names, units and victories, but there is a wide variety. Worth reading some of the threads on here under the games - Famous Aces, Watch Your Back and Burning Drachens. There are minis coming too!

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of games, e.g., Wings from Yaquinto/Excalibur, had rules for aces, but I don't think there were ratings of historical pilots. Basically, if you were experienced, you got to do more/fancier things with your plane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, Ace of Aces had rules for "Famous Aces"--on top of additional rules for players who are given advantages as Aces for getting 5 KIA's.

Unfortunately, they had to be used with the more advanced rulesets, which usually bogged the game down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you are describing the print and play game Richthofen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not much of an airplane/history buff, but I recently got Wings of War and I really like it. There are several different planes that are authentic (although I don't really know, as mentioned above, I'm not an historical aviation guy) and lots of pilots, but the pilots don't really do anything. Each plane flies a little bit different, can take different amounts of damage cause different amounts of damage.

The basic rules are simple and fun enough for anyone to hop in. There are currently three sets, Famous Aces, Burning Drachens and Watch Your Back that introduce different planes, solo missions, and more advanced rules such as elevation, different special types of damage like smoke, engine on fire, jammed rudder, etc.

I've only played with two players, it supports as many as you want to fit on a table, with the players grouped to teams. Oh that's the other thing. Wings of War is kind of like a miniatures game where the table is the board. And you move your plane by laying out these movement cards. Very interesting and unique game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Constantelos
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations. Most games emphasize the planes (for good reason), and few have historical pilots it seems. I'll have fun looking into these games more in-depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Granvold
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Wings Over France. This is a soltaire game where you play a British squadron during April 1917. One of the German's that you can encounter is the Red Baron himself. There is a seperate counter for the baron's plane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted above, WoW's pilots don't per se make a difference in the game. However, you might take a look at these optional ace rules:

http://www.wingsofwar.it/read.asp?id=1273

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.