Hide
5 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » Rules

Subject: Infinite Reflection and Lieutenant ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephane Labelle
msg tools

Today I had a case where my opponent had his lieutenant on the battlefield, and applied Infinite Reflection on it reproducing it on all his creatures.

The next turn, he cast his commander and indicate that all his creatures have now the lieutenant abilities enabled which where +2/+2 and a draw 2 cards on damage done to player.

Is that true, can all of them become lieutenant, or is there only one lieutenant as there is only one commander?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
nilliom wrote:

Today I had a case where my opponent had his lieutenant on the battlefield, and applied Infinite Reflection on it reproducing it on all his creatures.

The next turn, he cast his commander and indicate that all his creatures have now the lieutenant abilities enabled which where +2/+2 and a draw 2 cards on damage done to player.

Is that true, can all of them become lieutenant, or is there only one lieutenant as there is only one commander?

Thanks

Assuming his Commander is a Planeswalker, I would think he is correct. If his Commander is another creature I don't think this will work as the Commander would enter the battlefield as a copy of the lieutenant.

You may wish to list the specific cards that you are referring to in this scenario, as it can make a big difference.

I can answer one question though, and that there definitely can be multiple lieutenants, you are not limited to just one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Labelle
msg tools
It was Stormsurge Kraken and Teferi as the commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Huang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nilliom wrote:
It was Stormsurge Kraken and Teferi as the commander.

Yes, the copies of the creature with the Lieutenant ability word will all have the bonus conferred by controlling his Commander. There is no rule that indicates that you cannot have multiple Lieutenants. In fact, Lieutenant isn't even a key word, there is no rules text associated with the word, only the rules text following it is relevant.

Also of note, the quality of being a Commander, or lack thereof, is not a copyable characteristic. It is a characteristic of the card itself. Thus, if his Commander was a creature, and copied his Lieutentant, it would still be his Commander and all of his creatures (including the Commander itself) will have the bonus.

Quote:
903.3. Each deck has a legendary creature card designated as its commander. This designation is not a characteristic of the object represented by the card; rather, it is an attribute of the card itself. The card retains this designation even when it changes zones.

Example: A commander that’s been turned face down (due to Ixidron’s effect, for example) is still a commander. A commander that’s copying another card (due to Cytoshape’s effect, for example) is still a commander. A permanent that’s copying a commander (such as a Body Double, for example, copying a commander in a player’s graveyard) is not a commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Labelle
msg tools
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.