Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Zucchi
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
arrrhHello Fans of Wooden Ships Iron Men,

I have recently become interested in this game again after playing it years ago. I recently have gone through the rulebook and have decided that the first game I will play when I get the chance to play with someone will be a 'Design Your Own' scenario where each player buys their ships from either the Napoleonic Era or Revolutionary Period ship lists.

The largest game I would consider playing, at this time, would be 100 points. Although the rules state that 150 is the recommended points limit, I believe 100 to be a nice round number and might offer up some interesting limitations in ship size and crew ability.

I started writing fleet lists for Britain, France, Spain and the United States at 25 points (1 ships), then 50 points (2 ships), then 100 points (4 ships). The results of my list building yielded some interesting results and seemed to be historically accurate:

1. Crew Quality is very important for several reasons.
2. The British Navy is the best fleet in the game. They have excellent choice of ships and points to upgrade crews.
3. The French Navy has more guns in general than their British counterparts, but it is difficult to find points to upgrade crews.
4. The Spanish Navy has the largest ship in the game, having a 130-gun Nr. 1 SOL (in the Napoleonic Era). There are few points for crew upgrades but they also have the same problem with crew quality that the French do.
5. The United States Navy fights drastically different than Britain, France and Spain. Possessing only Frigates but making up for size with speed and high quality crews, the US can be a potentially unbalancing force in the game.

So, without further preamble, here are the lists I've come up with. I hope that some will review these lists and add comments.

Sincerely,

Jon

Napoleonic Era
100 Point Limit

Britain
80-Gun SOL, Nr. 2 with Av. Crew=24

France
80-Gun SOL, Nr. 2 with Gr. Crew = 25

Spain
80-Gun SOL, Nr. 2 with Av. Crew = 24

United States
44-Gun F, Nr. 4 with El. Crew = 25

Revolutionary Period
100 Point Limit

Britain
74-Gun SOL (Large Class), Nr. 2 with Av. Crew = 22

France
74-Gun SOL, Nr. 2 with Av. Crew = 24

Spain
70-Gun SOL, Nr. 2 with Av. Crew = 20

United States
74-Gun SOL, Nr. 2 with El. Crew = 25
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.