Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Starting up a new session report for the new day that has come here:
One thing that I have learned as a player would be to accept the wiring of the bridges (Arnhem Road and the other Nijmegen area bridges) for the ability to choose landing zones freely.....

As you can see the situation around LZ Y is definitely 'hot'; almost Ia Drang hot..if we were to jump ahead a generation.

Bgdr Hicks was able to deploy an ATG battery to 'pin' the entry of the 5 companies of KG Helle from easily entering the battle area; but this may just be not enough, as a battalion of infantry(Lippert) is moving in from the West. 4 units of Glider Pilots are moving up from the south, but are at least 2 hours march away from arriving at the LZ.

Weather is clear, but we have no idea when the landing is scheduled to occur; as there is apparently heavy fog covering most of England this morning. Editor's note (we are using a modification on the weather for this online campaign to see how it works; day 2 is auto clear, but to reflect the historical fog over the airlift fields a die shall be rolled in the reinf. phase starting with 0900. Drop arrives 0900 if 0-1 rolled; on 1100, roll of 0-3; 1300 0-6; 1500 auto. So no one knows exactly when things will occur here. There is a further mod for the future days, but I will go over that then.)

Here in town, it's slower going; with the need to send Hicks to oversee the LZ Y situation, the abysmal rolling for dispatch points to date (1AB has one on hand now; started with 2 on the 17th, gained the two bonus for 1900/17th and have spent 5 to date...which means have rolled 2DP total in 5 opportunities against a 4 rating) and CP has always been rather tight, so we work against the tide a bit.

In any case, Gough's recce sqd was eliminated in town; it couldn't make it out of town and was trapped up against the river and assaulted by a Spindler company. It ran from the assault, taking step and cohesion, but an oppfire from an AA position finished it off. This was another case of bad draws, as it required two German (DC and HOH) to be picked before the Allied DC, else it might have gotten away.

Co D, 1stBorder, assaults and elim's a weak Krafft unit during the night and with the Allied DC in the 0700 elim's the AA unit that got Freddie G and occupies it's position in the easterly fortified area and is facing off with 2 Spindler companies there.

Co A&B, 1stBord make an ill-judged assault against another Krafft Co. north of Co D; lose 3 CHits and call it off after doing nothing in return.

1st Para Brigade is forced to pull up a bit due to lack of CP resources.
Sends 1st Batt to secure the RR bridge area; where engineers are 1/2way done digging in the Arty Batteries south of O-Beek.

Finally, fortune has not favored us much; during the night and partway thru 0700, three '9's were rolled by 1AB...resulting in two explosions and a lost result. Lost hit the ATG battery that ended up in LZ Y, making it spend an extra cp/action to get there; one explosion had little effect on the British battery it hit, but the other was employed against the 82nd's battery and it suffered a step loss. One 9 for the germans resulted in a lost unit; a Frundsberg recce unit that thought it was in Nijmegen now finds itself west of Oosterhaut somewhere....

With the Allied DC, 1stAL and 1stAB chits now done, for the remainder of the 0700 turn the initiative is primarily German...service is in their court.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Start of the 0900 period:
Please use '+' tab on pictures to expand; I have to learn the command to post w/o needing this in the future.

We fought thru some 'connection issues' (apparently mainly on my side as I was having difficulty getting information thru the server) and finished the 0700 turn TH(5thMar)night. It was predominately a German turn as I mentioned previously, with just the 82nd being the only Allied chit in cup and it was pulled near the end of the turn. KG Euling(he of the 'I'm always in the cup' fame) is the starter chit for 0900.

We start in the West, where the battle for LZ Y intensifies as expected:

VonTettau Division doesn't roll well for CP/DP; has only 5or6CP available for operations this turn and ends up using them all; with 3 being spent to advance the KG Helle co to pin(reduce FZ to 1) the ATG battery on the northern perimeter, which DID get off 2 OpFires as it approached. (1CP to move in FZ, 1CP to ignore first S?, 1CP to force march for two additional MP) where it took a S result that I think it rolled off to a cohesion hit...or spent another CP...

In any case, with the FZ reduced, the remainder of KG Helle entered to where you see them. KG Lippert then assaulted the RGuard in the woods suffering a CH from OpF and moved the other 2 as shown.

This is the situation here as of 0900 start; unfortunately, the paradrop did NOT roll the 0-1 and occur now, so VT Div will have the opportunity to infiltrate further. But, it has 0CP/1DP to work with at the start of 0900, which might hinder it somewhat.

On my end though, hindsight shows two errors in planning; one was sending a company of the KOSB to guard LZ X, I should have just relied on the GliderPilot units to do that job as 1 more company would really help here. Secondly, my placement and movement of the GP's was suboptimal; but that's mainly a factor of live play, where I didn't see the better movement path at that time. I will have to live/die with those decisions now.

Moving east I now split the narrative to N&S Arnhem to better cover the ground; North Arnhem first:

To the north, 2 companies of KG Harder enter in trucks; stopping short where they are. Their purpose is undetermined at this time; whether actual threat or deception is not known. The remainder of the KG retires away from 1stAL units as shown, triggering fire which caused a CH and an event; which this time was positive---RALLY!>>>Appropriately, I used it to recover 4 CH from 1AL units;3 of which were in the hex indicated by the red box/blue lettering (which I now see is difficult to read and won't use that scheme anymore).

This was good, but upon seeing this, KG Allworden decamped their trucks to form up in reserve behind KG Harder thus stiffening this sector. Nothing much else in this sector, so we move south:

Relatively quiet in city itself....too quiet...anyhow, the remaining CH was removed due to the rally as shown; and then the KG Spindler formed up in line behind their lead companies as depicted.

Additionally, reports of 10thSS troops in the city are now being received by our underground contacts near the road bridge.

Finally, an PzRecceBtn is spotted moving across the polder fields to the SE of the RRBridge by elements of the 1stBtn/1Para; so this complicates matters here a bit....and they called the 6th of June the Longest Day.....that's rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is part of why I find you a great opponent Rob. You sum up situations very well and have represented what is going on vs. what you think is going on. For those that don't know, I am VT and HoH vs. Rob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Situation start 1100 hours:

Well, we hadn't hoped for the landing of the 4th Brigade at 0900 with only a 20% chance; had hoped for it here, with 40%; no joy this time as neither the 1stAB nor 82ndAB drop occur in the reinforcement phase.

Additionally, we've 'crossed the Rubicon' as it was on this last 0900 turn that VonTettau and KorpsFeldt formations lost steps with no negative ramifications; as I may have pointed out (and if I didn't here it was elsewhere) we are playing under the MG5.0 combined campaign rule that stipulates NOT using the TDC rout rule for these formations; which basically turns these untested Divisions into semi-juggernauts, as they can expend all their command points with no negative ramifications (previously they would have to choose between holding them to use as modifiers on rout occurrences and spending them to move/fight).

So, the situation is even more dire than it 'normally' would be if this was a traditional TDC game. It's normally bad enough to fight this sector where you have 2 Divisions combined vs one (some 9CP + 2die vs 5CP + 1die); tack on the 'un-routable' VonTettau and it's even more grim..almost to the point of being absurdity really...Kafkaesque in a way, as the original rule was not absurd nor overboard in it's handling of the situation. I think that MG 5.0 was badly conceived and is flawed as it is written. I can only say to any future players that they look at this quite closely and come up with a variation on this; either to throw it out in TDC or modify how it occurs.
==========================================

Taking off my 'rant hat', we progress to the situation report; starting in the West at LZ Y:

KG Helle wiped out the KOSB mortars, as they're division activation came up first (versus either the 1AB chit or AlliedDC, either of which could have helped the situation greatly). The unit that did this suffered and is one CH from elimination; but, most of KG Lippert is now on or near the LZ in force.
=============================

Here in the 'northern' sector, it's quiet; HOH didn't get it's divact this 0900 turn (it's first for 1100) and lack of CP prevented any aggressive action on part of the 1AL brigade here.
=============================

Here in the south, there was action aplenty. With a FormAct and DivAct the 1stPara Brigade does attempt many things with only one real 'success'; 1 company of the 1stBatt south of the Rhine catches an PG recce inf unit mounted in column and elim's it in close combat assault. But, the 9th and 10th act in concert and now have 4+ companies of 1/2tracked units moving on the 1stBattlion there.

A small arms result of '9' firing in Arnhem from one of the units there causes an event...could it be something good...no, yet ANOTHER explosion on an ARTY unit(NE on the damage roll, but it loses it's precious contact with 1Para).

Finally, one assault clears a weak HOH unit from a block in town; but the stronger unit north of it holds as I call off an assault there after one round where I go no positive result and took hit.
=======================================
Basically, the situation in LZ Y is burning CP for me at an alarming rate, leaving little for the Arnhem fronts; that, and my excruciating inability to generate ANY Dispatch Points has me hamstrung almost entirely. 1AB stands the start of turn with 0/0 on points; I think I have generated one non-1900 Dispatch point thru this point...MAYBE two...I can only recall spending 4/5 points at most.

About the only positive thing is that the units confronting me south of the Rhine are not in Nijmegen; where the 82nd has one regiment into the city, with it's spearhead 2KM from the road bridge...though, there is a significant presence there in between, it's less then it could be.
Though, they have their own problem, as 'strong' KF formations have taken Mook and threaten to move North along the canal/NE into the Groesbeek Heights; but that's not in my purview....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Will be covering two turns(4 hours) of game time here; shots reflect the situation at the start of the 1500 turn of the 18th.

We'll begin in the Northern sector, which was quiet as Hohenstaufen has been relatively somnambulant here due to going 'last' on 2 of the last 3 turns...

some fire exchanged across the river by infantry vs a flak unit and an engineer unit moving into Arnhem town is about all that happened here.

Lots of action in the 'south':

SS diehards move vigorously against the 1stPara battalion south of the river with just under a regiment's worth of troops. The artillery shots cause step losses; but they could have been worse, as the #'s were 7&8 for firepower and COULD have caused eliminations.

Finally, we come to the western sector shot:

Which is pretty hideous and nauseating to be frank....
The combination of my unawareness of the significance of the meaning of using MG 5.0; historic drop zones and the under commitment of troops to this sector has resulted in a 'cream dream' for the VT Division...they currently have 7 units on the field; 6 of which are 2xstacked making them virtually impossible to dislodge in the current circumstances.

In order to get to this position, KG Helle(purple)has taken 4 step losses; KG Lippert(blue) has taken 3. But, with no 'rout' chit being drawn under MG5.0, it's moot.

So, the Brigade will be arriving in the reinforcement phase coming up....and barring some miracle will end the 1500 turn as perhaps a battalion's worth of troops due to this. A veritable forest's worth of "We're sorry to inform you..." letters as it were. I certainly wish I could present a different situation here. I had certainly expected them before this time; there was only a 14% expectancy of a 1500 arrival...and both divisions did this! I think that I would have rather had an overcast day in retrospect...ah well....

Quick note on the 82nd area; one KF KG is pressing thru the Wyler area; while another 2 try to force thru the Mook bottleneck. Nijmegen advance stalled and under successful SS artillery fire, which has caused at least two step loss in the last few hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.