Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got our second game of Railroad Tycoon in yesterday, this one lasted quite a bit longer and was a much closer game that nearly sprawled across the entire map.

Girlfriend got a quick start and this time she didn't let me take the Northeast (having learned a lesson from last time) and we both built a few tracks up there with a lot of blocking and dodging. She managed to ship the first good and snag the bonus card, which put her ahead of me early and gave her a stronger early-game income. As a result I was forced to take a few more shares than her, which gave her even more of a cash flow advantage.

As the Northeast was a tangled web of both of our lines, no one managed to get a stranglehold on it and we were forced to branch out. I started moving west to Chicago and the surrounding area and she went down south. I was still behind, but at this point we were shipping at about the same rate so I wasn't falling behind any more. At about the same times she managed to upgrade to the level 5 train and start pumping out several 5-jump shipments from New Orleans while I completed a track from NY to Duluth and got the 10 point bonus card.

Near the end of the game I completed a western link (my tycoon card goal) and started to complete the 'NY to Western Link' 20 point card. Despite some clever (albeit last minute) attempts to stop me, I completed the connection and jumped ahead 20 points, though I had to take out 2 more shares to do it. At the end of the game she had a much stronger income (she had collected over 100k, I had to save for 2 turns just to upgrade to a Level 5 train) but I had a pretty decisive lead. As I hurried to close out the last few cities she tried to score some last minute points. When the game ended I was at 105 with 8 shares and she was at 82 with 5 shares. We had both completed our tycoon cards, but both were relatively low scoring cards that didn't impact anything too much.

Though we enjoyed our first game, the second felt a lot more competative and was generally more fun. We had a chance to test out different strategies and knew what moves we had to prevent eachother from doing. Though some say otherwise, I think this game works great with 2. There isn't quite as much cutthroat competition as there would be with more, but it moves faster and there is enough interaction to make it fun: if you let your opponent set up whatever he wants unharrassed, you are most likely going to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Kildahl
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Oshio,

Good report.

Oshio wrote:
Though some say otherwise, I think this game works great with 2.

I agree. One of this game's big problems is that its turn order bidding system sucks. In a game with more than two players, if at least two other players are willing to pay more than you are to go first, you just have to hope that the one who's closest to you on your right wins. Sometimes this sort of thing is the difference between going second and going last. In a 2-player game, this problem is non-existent.

Brett

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Thompson
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Lord ain't that the truth. We have one player in our group who ALWAYS sits after me, and ALWAYS bids to go first, even when there's no tactical advantage to doing so. Of the 10 games I've played with him, I think he sat after me for 8 of them, and always bought first turn.

Hell, I've seen alot of other players bid 2-3 because they KNOW that he's going to bid 4, no matter what. I basically now don't really want to play with him unless he's not going ahead of me. Hell, I'm tempted to sit ahead of him and continaully bid 15 to go first, shares be damned, just to show him what it's like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.