6 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule Check about Special Action Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enoch Chi
msg tools
hi,

My group of friends needed a clarification.

The example that came up was:

On my turn, I played this one steampunk action card that let me draw another action card from my discard pile to my hand (did NOT give me extra action to play that turn), which I picked "we are the champions" (action card) from the discard pile back to my hand.

"we are the champions" action card states: "Special: After this base scores, transfer any or all +1 power counters from one of your minion here to another minion."

Then, I played a minion card to pop a base.

The clarification is needed here: Am I allowed to use the "we are the champions" action card even though I used an action card on my turn already?

My argument was that it is a special action (interrupt) and is not counted as one of my "free cards" for that turn.
My friends were arguing that you already used an action on your turn.

What is your take on this argument?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Cards with "special" text that explicitly say they can be played at a unique time do not require your "free" action to be used to play them. You may even play them when it isn't your turn as long as it's during that unique time.

Disclaimer: If a special card says "during your turn you may" this is NOT a license to use it during any phase of your turn but must be used during your regular play cards phase (see Tenacious Z for example). Only when the special card specifies a unique time is the above applicable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when we are the champions says "when this base scores...."

it doesn't say when A base scores. I believe in the case of this card you have to play it on the base first as your action, and then when that base scores you distribute your counters.

I don't have the card in front of me but based on your wording that is how I would play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
when we are the champions says "when this base scores...."

it doesn't say when A base scores. I believe in the case of this card you have to play it on the base first as your action, and then when that base scores you distribute your counters.

I don't have the card in front of me but based on your wording that is how I would play it.

We Are The Champions- Special: After this base scores, transfer any or all +1 power counters from one of your minions here to another minion.

You can play this as a special after the base that is popping scores.
The text "after this bases scores" refers to the popping base that you're going to play We Are The Champions on and the text "from here" also refers to this base.

It's worded this way to refer to a particular minion on specific base that is relating to another minion which is any minion on another base that will receive those +1 counters as opposed to just putting these counters back into the counter pile.

If it was worded, "Special: After A BASE scores, transfer any or all +1 power counters from one of your minions there to another minion." then that would be a whole other meaning.

The SPECIAL gets played on that popping base which now becomes "this base" and the counters get saved and passed on to another minion.

Remember that SPECIALS are special for a reason!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Dibbles
msg tools
allstar64 wrote:
Cards with "special" text that explicitly say they can be played at a unique time do not require your "free" action to be used to play them. You may even play them when it isn't your turn as long as it's during that unique time.

Disclaimer: If a special card says "during your turn you may" this is NOT a license to use it during any phase of your turn but must be used during your regular play cards phase (see Tenacious Z for example). Only when the special card specifies a unique time is the above applicable.

I agree with J. (although I am not sure how many other on your turn specials there are..... Ninja Acolyte?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Drstattik wrote:

I agree with J. (although I am not sure how many other on your turn specials there are..... Ninja Acolyte?)

Tenacious Z is the usual example. People have asked in the past that since he says "during your turn" and he is a type "special" does that mean that you can revive him during any phase of your turn most notably right before a base breaks? Obvious utility would be if you break a base during your turn to want to wait and see and wait and see if anyone plays any specials to try and take it from you, you may then respond and play him on the base (like a Ninja). Otherwise you play him elsewhere.

As I noted above this is NOT correct and illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.