Subject: Assign Step rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
I wanted to make sure I understand the assign step.

You roll dice. Then you pick one of your assigned dice as a phase selection (Which should be done simultaneously with the other players). The dice you pick doesn't have to match the phase you choose.

Then you may reassign dice based on the "Phase selections".

The one thing that isn't clear to me is "wild" dice. Can you assign "wild" dice after the phase selections are made? It seems like you don't have to make the choice of assigning "wild" dice until after the "Phase selections". But its not clear to me. There is a FAQ on wild dice, but its concerning after the dice are revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
I wanted to make sure I understand the assign step.

You roll dice. Then you pick one of your assigned dice as a phase selection (Which should be done simultaneously with the other players). The dice you pick doesn't have to match the phase you choose.

Then you may reassign dice based on the "Phase selections".

The one thing that isn't clear to me is "wild" dice. Can you assign "wild" dice after the phase selections are made? It seems like you don't have to make the choice of assigning "wild" dice until after the "Phase selections". But its not clear to me. There is a FAQ on wild dice, but its concerning after the dice are revealed.
AFAIK, the phase selection and wild sided dice all have to be reassigned before your lift your screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
It's listed on page 3 as being done during the assign step prior to the reveal step.

"When all players are done assigning their workers and using any Reassign
powers, proceed to the next step."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You're missing a sub-step. The sequence is:

A. You roll dice.
B. *You assign them to columns, including wild dice.*
C. Then you pick one of your assigned dice as a phase selection.
D. Then you may reassign dice using reassign powers.

That's exactly the order in which the rules are presented on page 3 (and summarized on the screen):

"Players simultaneously roll all workers (dice in their cups) behind their screens.

"Initially, *assign* workers to phases by placing them below the phase strip in columns, matching each die face rolled with the phase symbol.

"All [*] faces are *wild*. These workers can be assigned to any phase (multiple wild dice can go under the same or different columns)."

Phase Selection. [...]

Reassign. [...]

(original emphasis)

Page 10, FAQ, Assign, second Q+A addresses your question directly:

Q: Can I assign workers that show [*] wild faces after phase selections are revealed?
A: No. All workers should be assigned to phases before Reveal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
You're missing a sub-step. The sequence is:

A. You roll dice.
B. *You assign them to columns, including wild dice.*
C. Then you pick one of your assigned dice as a phase selection.
D. Then you may reassign dice using reassign powers.

[...]
Page 10, FAQ, Assign, second Q+A addresses your question directly:

Q: Can I assign workers that show [*] wild faces after phase selections are revealed?
A: No. All workers should be assigned to phases before Reveal.

Practically speaking before Reveal steps all of players actions are comncealed so B-D steps are interchangeable. So you can assing and reassing wild in step D - unless you used wild in Executive Power (You may Reassign exactly two same-phase workers to the phase you select.) or similar power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Note that you must select a phase before using reassign powers. Usually, this doesn't matter, but in some instances, it can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Andrew
Indonesia
Bandung
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:

how could i miss that one? blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veenickz wrote:
hobbes27 wrote:

how could i miss that one? blush
Yeah, as a sort of way to mitigate some of the bad luck when rolling of the dice (given the phase selector is effectively wild).

That said, what you discovered is nothing... my first game, the game explainer didn't mention that the die you use to select a phase also counts as an action/worker for that phase! It was much more difficult having to ensure we had at least one die beneath whichever action we picked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
veenickz wrote:
hobbes27 wrote:

how could i miss that one? :blush:

I think I misunderstood the rule here and you originally got it right. You can't change die faces until the reassign step, which is AFTER phase selection.

Interesting about the dice assigned for phase selection being counted as a worker. I thought it was just a dice for picking the phase and you still needed to assign a worker there. But it does make sense that it would count as a worker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
You can't change die faces until the reassign step, which is AFTER phase selection.

You shouldn't change dice faces AT ALL. Just move them to another column.
Dice are working according to their position, not face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.