Subject: Simultaneously completing both Objectives at the same time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bending
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is mostly a question for seeing what happens at edge cases, but what happens if both the keeper Objective and investigator Objective are completed simultaneously?

The situation I had in mind is in the COTW scenario: "A Cry for Help"
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The goal of the keeper in this scenario is to kill an investigator or ally that isn't the culprit. The goal of the investigators is to kill the culprit. What if, for instance, there are two allys in the fire and they both die at the same time or if an Eldritch monster deals splash damage to multiple investigators/ally's; killing them. It seems unlikely but certainly possible. This differs from situations like cards that read: "deal 2 damage then take a damage" because in that case strictly speaking they'd be dealt damage first, die, and end the game before you took damage. Fire damage by definition happens simultaneously to all Allys.

If this happened in this particular case I would probably house rule that the Investigators win for flavor reasons (since they need a sacrifice but I assume that the culprit still has to complete the ritual once the last person is sacrificed; otherwise I see no reason why the culprit just couldn't be the sacrifice which would mean that even killing the culprit would complete the ritual). Additionally, it's possible this is the only objective where this can happen so house ruling it could make sense and if there are other scenarios I can see the argument for simply going on a case by case basis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Excellent question. I never noticed that was possible, and as far as I know, the rules do not provide an answer.

As I see it, there are two main options here:

1) Make a ruling based on flavor on a case-by-case basis.

2) Both sides lose.

3) The keeper wins because the "keeper wins" text is printed above the "investigators win" text on the Objective card, and cards are read from top to bottom. (This is the closest I can find to the game rules providing an answer, but it's a very weak argument.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say fight to the death, but that seems a bit broken, in a one vs many game. Seems like a pretty edge case, for sure. Of Roberta's options, I'd probably to with everyone loses, but that is just, like, my opinion, man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you know, in Arkham Horror there is the unofficial rule "if somethings can be solved in more ways, choose the one that helps the villain". Story-wise, here it would make sense, because the last sacrifice was given and the ritual finished. The culprit may not be needed to survive the ritual, but may be "tainted", unsuitable to be the last sacrifice (the dragon ALWAYS wants a maiden, you know ), their purpose is to bring the horror on this world, what happens after that does not matter for them devil.

I would say, that when the culprit and another person are killed simultaneously, the Keeper wins, which contradicts your flavor reasoning, but thats the consequence of siding with the Evil. As this is "horror game", Evil should have upper hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say for the sake of not pissing off four fifths of the players present, the good guys should win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad guy wins. If unsure of a rule tip it in favor of the overlor-*cough*-Keeper. It is the universe of Arkham Horror after all. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.