6 Posts

Wits & Wagers» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant Idea - Extra Interaction - Need Help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of getting this game - but I can't help but feel there is a better way to play the game.

For me a party game needs maximum interaction. The way I see the game being played currently - there's a lot of interaction but it does seem a bit too much like question - answer - bet - repeat formula.

Variant:
Scoring: Do away with the odds and just make it so closest guess wins. Everyone gets only one guess. You get 4(5?) points if you pick the right answer. You get 1 point per other person that picks your answer (you don't get a point for picking your own). That's it... kinda like Dixit.

Added Phase: After answers are written down, people take turns (if they wish) - essentially selling their answer and explaining their rationale. A lot of the questions look utterly ridiculous - so this could (in theory) lead to a lot of shenanigans. You want people to pick your answer, even if you know you are grabbing at air - so this can add an element of bluffing as you want to sound like you know what you're talking about, even if you don't at all.

It would be optional, and ultimately people are going to pick the answer that makes the most sense to them - but it does seem to get people more involved with the game.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - I'm scared to try this out without a single game played, but if it sounds like it works I will definitely just pretend these are the actual rules.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the added phase sounds like a lot of fun, but I would still opt for 2 bets, so you can place a bet on your red herring and one on the answer you think is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
Cool cool - I'll definitely try it out like that then and fit the scoring around it - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Closet Thrifter

New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the game the way it is. If I were you I would try it a few times without changing the rules at all. It's a very interactive game, people can't help laughing when someone writes down the record for longest zucchini ever is 28 feet.

Your suggestions seem more like other games like Dixit and Balderdash which are excellent games in their own right. I don't think they will translate directly to W&W since most answers are not very guessable. Sometimes I totally change my perspective when I see the other responses. Sometimes I put down a guess that is way off if it's a question other people think I know (like a sports question since I'm an avid fan) just to throw them off the scent.

Any way you play it and have fun is good enough for me! Share your results with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j mc
Canada
flag msg tools
So the games went really well.

We played 3 games with my variant (a single vote per person, debate phase optional) and the game went very well. You have to remember there were multiple people who were not sober enough to walk properly (one person fell over while going to the washroom). People were passionate about their answers but could barely focus enough to vote once per question.

Some people had difficulty understanding the scoring system - but people did understand that you want people to vote for you. Especially passionate and heartfelt discussions were dedicated to 'How much would you weigh on the moon if you weigh 100 pounds on Earth' and 'How many countries have a Mcdonalds franchise'.

It was a massive success! I will still try the standard rules when people are more sober... if that situation arises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not the first person to play using those rules. I'm glad it went over so well. I wish I was there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.