DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Crisis Expansion Pack 2» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Kyle Rayner? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Pruitt
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
So I picked up this set and played a couple competitive games with some friends. All the new Heroes seemed to work really well . . . except for Kyle Rayner. His ability never seemed to offer that great of a benefit.

Has anyone else had any success with him yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brady
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
PruittBrandon wrote:
So I picked up this set and played a couple competitive games with some friends. All the new Heroes seemed to work really well . . . except for Kyle Rayner. His ability never seemed to offer that great of a benefit.

Has anyone else had any success with him yet?

Kyle Rayner is meant to be an advanced play hero, I don't want to spell out exactly how to play him as we'd like people to come up with their own strategies... but don't be afraid to ditch your hand often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see SOME tech with him. I used him in crisis play and he actually did help. Especially when I got "Starter, starter, starter, Weakness, Atom" or something similar.

In regular game, he works well with his hero card. Dump your hand with a ring or two in it and hopefully draw into the hero for extra power. Or dump the manhunters in your hand.

There's a lot of "If you have ________ in your discard pile" or "put _____ from your discard pile in your hand/on your deck" stuff in HU, so he definitely requires the right card acquisition, but can be really powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Herandez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Say you've beat a good super villain/hero, now it in your discard pile, wouldn't you want to get to it as soon as possible?

Same goes for locations.

Or say you just shuffled your deck with your discard pile and drew really good cards early. You'd play those cards and know you would do better if those cards popped up when you had a discard pile.
So you have to get to those cards fast or find a card that picks it up or if the discard. If you don't have something like that next hand, discard it and draw five.

Or say you have graves/hector Hammond/Felix Faust/aqua man/etc. In your deck, you would want to discard your hand to build up your discard and get to those power house cards faster!

I didn't play this yet, didn't even buy it but kyle Rayner sounds pretty damn good in long games,
Definitely a mid to late game hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played yet so I'll be open minded with him, but I was definitely disappointed with his ability after reading the other 5.

Sure...he'll be effective, but nothing game destroying (like his in-game card). There will easily be times where you'll have a subpar hand [ie Weakness/Vulnerability/Kick/punch/punch...3 colors; wipe that away quickly].

Plus in HU there are a few cards to place on top of deck so a Canary Cry or the equipment equivalent can set you up as well for the next turn instead of the turn after next.

Not everything can be +1 power for 'thing'

The one perk I love about him is that he isn't dependent on a certain thing. I love any power that isn't focus on a certain type of card [except for Starfire...man do I love Starfire]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other good cards would be Starbolts, Superboy, Hawkman, Hawkgirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pruitt
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
After playing with Kyle Rayner a little more I have found he is very useful in helping combo your cards that dig from the discard pile, as well as ditching hands that are filled with combo cards you can't use because you don't have the right combo pieces. He basically just speeds up your deck, getting you to your most powerful hands a lot quicker.

Also, a really neat trick I have found with his ability is by combining him with the new location, Mogo. After ditching your two cards for Mogo's cost, you can simply ditch your remaining three cards with Kyle Rayner's effect and bring your hand back to five. You still avoid an attack, but have no loss of hand size.

This same idea also applies to any attacks that may make you discard cards. Once it's your turn again simply ditch your hand and replenish back to five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.