Doomtown: Reloaded» Forums » Rules

Subject: How many times can the shootout abilities be used per day?!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jianjun ma
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As this question bothers me very much, I have to make it clear. In the rulebook acting section it says" each ability can only be used once per day", but does this include the shootout abilities? I'll have to adjust my deck depending on the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenghuoma wrote:
As this question bothers me very much, I have to make it clear. In the rulebook acting section it says" each ability can only be used once per day", but does this include the shootout abilities? I'll have to adjust my deck depending on the answer!

Yes, Shootout abilities are like any other ability - 1 use per day.
e.g. Make that Shotgun blast count, pardner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the same as the OP originally. When I realized that Angelica Espinosa's ability wasn't quite the same as her coming equipped with a Buffalo Rifle I was less enamored with her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Eye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What? Even if the ability does not contain the word "Boot"?

Sorry for jumping in on this, but I assume if the answer to my question is "Yes" traits are exempt and are always active?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Easy way to remember is if there's a colon, its only once per day unless it says "repeat." So your flamethrower can only be used once per day too regardless of how many shootouts James Ghetty gets into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abilities only once per day, as other have answered, unless explicitly stated to be multiple times per day through the Keyword "Repeat", in which case you can use it as many times as you like e.g. Mechanical Horse, which has the ability:

Repeat Noon, Pay 2 Ghost Rock: Move this dude.

Remove the "Repeat" and you can only use the ability to move the dude 1 time per day. Repeat = you can pay 2 as many times as you like per day, to move the dude (without booting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So even though the effects of shootout abilities only last until the end of the shootout, you can only use them once per day? That seems kinda counterintuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the confusion comes into play regarding traits and abilities.

Card Text
There are three types of text on Doomtown cards: keywords, traits, and abilities.
Keywords appear in bold at the top of the card, and are descriptions of that
card that can be referenced by other card text (e.g., Horse, Gadget). You
can spot a keyword in card text because it is capitalized.

Traits appear below the keywords, and appear in plain text. Traits are
game effects that are always on while the card is in play
(e.g., “Lane gets
+2 bullets while he has a Horse.”). The card’s controller cannot choose to
ignore or “switch off” a trait.

Abilities are card text that starts with a boldface phase and cost, followed
by a colon. The card’s controller chooses if and when to use those abilities.
Each ability can only be used once per turn, unless it is a repeat ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the disconnect for us came from the fact that shootout abilities last for the duration of the shootout. We just assumed they were usable per shootout.

It certainly makes Mongwau less of a holy terror than we'd thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So even if you play a Shootout: Action card. And you only have 1 casualty and you draw another hand, for the next hand that's considered a completely new shootout and any abilities played don't stay active (For instance -2 bullets Shootout action cards or abilities) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GammaGoblinz wrote:
So even if you play a Shootout: Action card. And you only have 1 casualty and you draw another hand, for the next hand that's considered a completely new shootout and any abilities played don't stay active (For instance -2 bullets Shootout action cards or abilities) ?

No, that's all just different rounds in the same shootout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
GammaGoblinz wrote:

No, that's all just different rounds in the same shootout.

Oh okay, whewwww, thought me and my friends have been playin' that wrong all this time. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.