Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt. Some scenario preference? I'm up for anything, but I'd prefer Dungeon Lords, C&H, some conquest or druid nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
syzygia wrote:
Hi Matt. Some scenario preference? I'm up for anything, but I'd prefer Dungeon Lords, C&H, some conquest or druid nights.

I've never played a lot of these PvP scenarios. I'd like to try C&H. And if you have any friendly advice for PvP I'm all ears. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to be your moderator.
I hope I won't make any mistake.
Choose your scenario and decide how do you want to pick a Mage Knight.
After that I will send you your starting hands and provide a map.

Good luck and have fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
mbauers1 wrote:
syzygia wrote:

I've never played a lot of these PvP scenarios. I'd like to try C&H. And if you have any friendly advice for PvP I'm all ears. ;-)

Actually, Dungeon Lords looks cool too, and less complex than C&H for my first PvP game. Want to do dungeon lords?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thanks Pawel to moderate the game.

I'm fine with any of these two scenarios. C&H isn't complex, but it's usually very aggressive: the map is small and you're always threaten by the other player. PvP is frequent. I like the scenario; however, it can get unbalanced very quickly. I mean, it's very hard to recover if you have a bad start, and once the two players have different strength, one player can continually attack the other one and it's game over.

Dungeon lords is also nice. I like that it rewards the exploration. Players get really strong in no time. Regarding PvP, you have to defend your artifacts, so there is always a threat.

mbauers1 wrote:
And if you have any friendly advice for PvP I'm all ears. ;-)
The "game philosophy" is not very different as with any other type of game: first you want to levelup, in midgame you want to get strong (gain spells, crystals, artifacts, units, etc.) and at the end you keep an eye to the score to maximize it. I mean, in general, you do the same things than in a nonPvP game.

However, keep always an eye on your opponent. If he is near (or far away but has space bending, wings of wind or something like that) you don't want to end your turn unprotected. That open a new strategic layer. Something like "I can't take this tower; if I take it, I'll take 3 wounds, he will attack me and he'll give 3 more. But if I call the end of round, he will attack the tower. I'd better just discard one card: if he calls the end of round, I attack the tower. If he attacks the tower, I attack him."

Maybe the main difference is that you don't take "the best decision" regarding your position. You also have to consider your opponent. Something that hurts him more than you may be better than something that benefits you both. That's particularly true with tactics: you may take the right moment just to threaten me. Or mana search just to deny the dice I want. Or preparation just because you know I need a card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, about optional rules, I prefer to bid for the heroes. I'm fine with rotated tiles. I'm not a big fan of other rules, but we can use some of them if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
syzygia wrote:
By the way, about optional rules, I prefer to bid for the heroes. I'm fine with rotated tiles. I'm not a big fan of other rules, but we can use some of them if you like.

When you bid for heroes, do you make all of them available, or just roll to select a few?

I'm good with bidding for heroes and rotated tiles. Should we do Dungeon Lords, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do both things. I personally prefer to randomly select two of them: in that way you don't always play with your favorite hero, you play with different ones.

At the end, if all heroes are available, nobody will outbid: even if you start with my favorite hero, I'll take another "good" one. So, if all heroes are available, bidding or selecting one hero are the same thing.

By the way, read the bidding rules, some people get they wrong: if you start the bid, I can outbid, you can match the offer, I can outbid again, etc. I mean, it isn't like you have to make a final offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
syzygia wrote:
You could do both things. I personally prefer to randomly select two of them: in that way you don't always play with your favorite hero, you play with different ones.

At the end, if all heroes are available, nobody will outbid: even if you start with my favorite hero, I'll take another "good" one. So, if all heroes are available, bidding or selecting one hero are the same thing.

By the way, read the bidding rules, some people get they wrong: if you start the bid, I can outbid, you can match the offer, I can outbid again, etc. I mean, it isn't like you have to make a final offer.

Thanks--I've seen some of the bidding done on other threads. Ok, 2 heroes sounds good.

Now, I know we have a moderator, and I've seen here that games take a little longer than I'm used to on other sites. So if this is "bad form", please disregard this. But, could I just post the hero stuff now?

If so:

Available heroes, first 2 unique: 5d6 = (3 + 4 + 5 + 2 + 1) = 15

Arythea 1
Tovak 2
Goldyx 3
Norowas 4
Wolfhawk 5
Krang 6

First hero pick, higher number

Matt: 1d1000 = (210) = 210

Magnesi: 1d1000 = (553) = 553

Again, if this is bad form, just disregard it. I just know that the Mods get to play when our game is done, and this seems harmless enough. Anything we can take off their plates (rolling for monsters, rerolling source dice, etc) is a good thing, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 674224. mbauers1
  • 5d6 =
  • (3 + 4 + 5 + 2 + 1) =
  • Sun Mar 1, 2015 10:42 pm
  • [+]
  • 674229. mbauers1
  • 1d1000 =
  • (210) =
  • Sun Mar 1, 2015 10:43 pm
  • [+]
  • 674230. mbauers1
  • 1d1000 =
  • (553) =
  • Sun Mar 1, 2015 10:43 pm
Matt Bauers
msg tools
So if that is acceptable, Goldyx and Norowas are available, and you get to pick first.

Now, I know that if you get first hero choice, I get first tactic choice.

One thing--suppose you bid for a hero and I outbid you. Do I still get to pick first tactic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbauers1 wrote:
So if that is acceptable
I personally prefer to do these rolls when I'm the GM(*). However, I think that once the rolls are done, they stand.

* Unless I've told I'd be outside some days.
mbauers1 wrote:
One thing--suppose you bid for a hero and I outbid you. Do I still get to pick first tactic?
You're the first there no matter the bidding result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume Matt's rolls stand. In that case:

Bid 0 on Goldyx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
Bid 1 Goldyx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Match

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
Goldyx 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Match, bid 2 on Goldyx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
Pass

Can't justify 3.

I think Goldyx has a big advantage. I hope I can get Bonds of Loyalty early!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would't have matched 2 in other scenarios, but I don't really like Norowas here. Well, we'll see what happens.

Good luck and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knights stands.
Map and starting hands in several hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
syzygia wrote:
I would't have matched 2 in other scenarios, but I don't really like Norowas here. Well, we'll see what happens.

Good luck and have fun.

Good luck to you too, and thanks Pawel for moderating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
Hmm, for my tactic I will Mana Steal the lone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Take tactic #4, planning

Next:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bauers
msg tools
So many things to think about. This really does add another layer of strategy. Very cool.

March for 2 move to go NW, revealing the mage tower defenders.

Use
to power Crystallize for a

Source:
,1mkd[{image}] -> ( White) -> (
) [+]

End Turn

Draw 2 new cards.

Question--if I get attacked and I partially attend, can I still use my Mana Steal die even though I can't use a source die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 674917. mbauers1
  • 1mkd[{image}] =
  • ( White) =
  • (iid:1554399)
  • Tue Mar 3, 2015 12:07 am
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.