Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our 2nd game last night. Was a rough nite for the red die rolls. Poor Zachary (10) got a tooth near the end of his turn but he took an extra survivor card from his mom to bring him back to two. He was ok with it... Until his very next turn move a guy to the police station and tooth'd on his exposure roll. Next person rolled blank and saved himself, but Z needed to get the the Station so he sent his second in and she too took it in the tooth! We weren't playing player elimination, so he did get a new survivor (after losing all his cards), but by then he couldn't continue.

Poor kid. I know it says ages 15+, but Zach's been playing adult games with us for 3 years. He really has problems with his characters dying. Even imperial assault skirmish gets him worked up. Not campaign, with 28 lives!!

Might need to reevaluate what I let him play, but I'm more leaning to keeping the games coming and letting him learn to deal with it. Any thoughts? Our parenting skills are strong and supportive... But any other stories of helping kiddos deal with - hey, it's ok. Part of the game. Etc.

Everyone else had a great time playing this game!

CaptM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tricky one, as the fact is nobody likes losing stuff and kids find it even harder to handle. The only things I can think of are:

1. Make sure you take it well when it happens to you. If one of your characters is killed, laugh at it as part of the game.

2. Shielding from it will probably only make it worse in the long run, provided the individual kid is mature enough to reason about it. Some 10 year olds can do this better than others.

3. Deaths in DoW are not generally as bad as you'd think for the individual player. And were it not for the morale loss, could even be considered a good thing if they didn't have a load of good equipment. You can emphasise these things.

I remember we used to play Talisman with my friend's younger brother, and he would really get upset when his character was toaded, killed, robbed, whatever. Man that game was brutal, especially when playing with merciless slightly older kids! Deaths in DoW are pretty insignificant by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ja, good stuff. Truth is we were all getting spanked last night. His middle brother too. So none of us were really taking it too hard... Especially as we found out middle spawn was the betrayer and was secretly hoping morale would hit zero!!

Thanks for the boost. I'll see if he wants to play a two player co-op with me alone next weekend and we can work out the emotions alone.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Tricky one, as the fact is nobody likes losing stuff and kids find it even harder to handle.

I think you'll find LOTS of adults who find it just as hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think that's bad, wait until Mom is the traitor. If I was really young, that'd give me PTSD.

Edit: The most my family have gotten for tooths in one sitting is two and it can be very frustrating. One remedy for this is have someone give him an outsider card if they have one so he gets another character. It might make up for the loss of his old one a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is he normally a sore loser? Because I know some people who act like this and start throwing fits when they lose a guy and want to stop playing. They are also pretty much all sore losers in all games and get angry when they lose.

There is no real solution about it really. It's just telling me that it's luck. Maybe play less luck based games and see if he react the same when there was nearly no luck involve with him losing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Reimus
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that people are sometimes hesitant to use fuel. It might help him to emphasize the importance of avoiding exposure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubius wrote:
Is he normally a sore loser?

Good thought, but no. Definitely not. Hate to say he is used to losing in the house, but he is. Kinda makes his wins that much funnier! He spanked us all in fresco last month and it was a joy to watch him finally win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AZBarbarian wrote:
I find that people are sometimes hesitant to use fuel. It might help him to emphasize the importance of avoiding exposure.

I was reading some strategy posts here with him and we came across the idea of using fuel to travel and trying to avoid exposure as much as possible.

I do think the next time this comes off the shelf I will try to get everyone to agree that we will really try to be cooperative... More sharing of cards and skills.

It is a good game that throws that much theme into his overly invested mind. Dying here, dying in Imperial Assault. Mice and Mystics isn't an issue because you are captured, not killed! Hmmm.

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
You could go the other way - desensitize him to the loss by playing games where death is much more devastating.

I suggest Taisman. After he's been levelling and gearing up for an hour or so, turn him into a toad. Then kill his character and steal all his good stuff. Then hand him a crappy new character and explain that he has to start from scratch, but if he's quick (and lucky) enough he can pick up the dregs of his dropped equipment - the stuff you didn't want. While he's floundering around trying to pick up his rusty axe, you jog off the the Crown of Command, from where you will mercilessly kill him again in order to win the game. devil

After that experience, Dead of Winter will feel positively tame by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Make sure you take it well when it happens to you. If one of your characters is killed, laugh at it as part of the game.

+1. This is the single best recommendation I've read in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
I was reading some strategy posts here with him and we came across the idea of using fuel to travel and trying to avoid exposure as much as possible.

Oh, were none of you ever using fuel to travel safely? I think that's the key. We will sometimes go an entire game with only having to roll the exposure die a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, double check your exposure die -- look at it closely. There have been a few reports of malformed dice. The sides may be very uneven, causing the tooth to come up more than it should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
CaptainMench wrote:

OK I have to ask - what did you think fuel was for before you came across this idea? Purely to chuck into the crisis? The cards state it's basic utility is exactly this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
CaptainMench wrote:

Oh, were none of you ever using fuel to travel safely? I think that's the key. We will sometimes go an entire game with only having to roll the exposure die a few times.

So you don't kill very many zombies in these games I take it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We try to use special abilities and weapons that don't require exposure die rolls. And the zombies are fairly easy to predict, so we don't find ourselves just killing them for the sake of killing them -- we wait until there's a danger of overrun. And putting up barricades is a much safer way of taking care of the zombie problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.