Subject: Review of GMT's Alexander rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ellsworth
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
This is an interesting era in which to be a gamer. We suffer from an embarrassment of riches compared to the two-releases-per-year days of old AH. Case in point - I preordered The Conquerors: Alexander The Great for reasons which escape me. I don't care for ancient games in general, and I don't have much knowledge about the period or any great desire to obtain more.

What I received from GMT was a really cool game that's not exactly like anything else in my collection. It's definitely playable in a day - we're at about 6 hours now, with plenty of conversation time thrown in, and still have to waste time looking up a few odd things. The rules hang together well and are strongly supported by both designer and developer in the Consimworld folder. But it's the game systems that have hooked me. There's a supply line system (line of command) that has very simple rules, but the point-to-point map contains all sorts of tricky ways to trace. This means that one has to pay attention to guarding the lines, but also allows surprise attacks of a sort - you may think a city is beyond reach, only to discover that an unusual line can be traced. There's a somewhat abstract naval system, which looks inconsequential at first - until you start looking at the possibilities of using sea lanes for those lines of command, at which point those fleets become vital. You can also move your armies across the seas for kicks, although that can be a very risky undertaking.

There is a chit activation system, but it doesn't guarantee the same number of activations for both sides (in fact, such is unlikely). However, nobody moves more than twice in a row. There are cards with a whole set of effects that I've just begun to explore - but unlike most CDGs, you don't have to choose between activating an event and moving an army. You can do both, often to great effect.

Alexander has a lot to do, and is slowly dying while he's doing it. As the Persian, you try to help that process along. You can lose a LOT of battles (and probably will) but still win the war.

This game isn't that complex, but it's very interesting to try to deal with the interactions of the different subsystems. While probably not for everyone (what game is?), this game is well worth a look, even if the topic isn't a thriller for you.

Oh yeah, the usual top-notch GMT graphics are once again in evidence...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanx for the kind comments, John . . . the check's in the mail.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think this game is great. I give it 10/10.

(Where's my check Richard?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
shawn_low wrote:

Like all checks . .. in the mail.

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
BergBROG wrote:
shawn_low wrote:

Like all checks . .. in the mail.

RHB

If I give it 20/10 can I get two checks? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjan Schuthof
Netherlands
Zandvoort
flag msg tools
Please direct part of the money to me, Richard still owes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.